Welcome to r/PovertyFinanceNZ - Information

snlmommy

Welcome to Personal Finance for the Financially Challenged!

Much of the financial advice online and on reddit is aimed at people who have varying degrees of disposable income, ability to invest, lots of free time, available transportation, no kids, a partner, access to credit, and beyond. This is a place for people who do not have a lot, nor ideal circumstances, to help each other get by and hopefully move up in the world.

You do not have to be absolutely destitute to be here. Whether you are a single parent only pulling 10k a year, or a family trying to survive on one income, you are welcome here. The goal here is to help anyone who doesn't have a lot of breathing room get to a place where they have stability, comfort, contingency, and maybe even a little luxury.

Purpose

The sub is not for a single financial goal, but rather to help people with a range of goals. This may include but is not limited to:

• Learning to live within ones means
  • Achieving a positive earning to expense ratio
  • Reducing debt and building savings
  • Moving to a better paying job
  • Cutting expenses
  • Spending smarter
  • Living a better life on the same budget
  • Working smarter, not harder
  • Planning for upcoming expenses, purchases, adventures
  • Finding qualifying benefits.

This is not a one-size fits all venture, so please be respectful of what other people might be looking for. We are here to help each other achieve their needs and wants, not to judge their priorities. We get enough judgement from people who do not know our situation all the time, this sub will respect peoples right to live their lives on their terms, not condemn them from afar.

Why now?

New Zealand is now officially in a recession. Many of us are or soon will be going through difficult times and we need a place where we can discuss financial survival without judgement. I'll be modelling this subreddit of https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/ but with New Zealanders in mind.

Going forward:

I'm looking for a couple of [ideally] experienced mods to help with the moderation of this sub - please sing out if interested.

If you have any suggestions please post them below - I want this sub to be shaped by the needs of its community.