@walshmeister No, they weren't speaking facts, unfortunately. There is something called cascade deficiency effect, where lacking in a single amino acid or nutrient such as B12 can cause a cascade of deficiency leading to malnutrition. This is why people who go vegan lose weight faster than non vegans.
However, whenever I try to discuss food and nutrition with vegans, they always state and stand by information they believe to be true.
Therefore, I need to make clear that there isn't a bias in their argument.

@walshmeister I watched Eat Well for Less NZ once and they were saying frozen prawns are a good protein to save money. They’re often a lot cheaper than meat. I find they cook right down though to almost nothing so not all that filling. And mince is a lot easier to get a 3yo to eat. I also buy the 3 for $20 range a lot. Also the cheapest eggs I can find at the supermarket, often the free range are actually cheaper, buy in 18-20 packs. Look carefully at the per each price to get the best deal. Eggs are a great protein. I buy up meat on special and store in the freezer in family portion sizes. Once pork roast was $10kg so I bought one. Can roast it, then leftovers in sandwiches or stir fry for another meal. I saw it on “How to save a grand in 24 hours”. Pork belly 3 ways. Can’t seem to find recipe now though. First roast the meat in honey and soy. First meal sliced pork with noodles and a cabbage salad £3 per portion. Second meal pot luck stir fry with leftover cubed meat under £3 per portion. Third meal gourmet sandwich made with toasted focaccia bread and third portion of roasted pork. Can also buy a whole raw chicken on special, roast and use in similar way. Roast chicken one meal, stir fry next night, sandwiches for a couple of lunches, and carcass for soup. For the sandwiches make own bread for (cheap flour at The Warehouse or in food parcel if you need one).

To bulk out mince I use canned beans and pasta or rice cooked into it, just add extra water. Canned beans can be very cheap, but not a complete protein I don’t believe. Quinoa is a complete protein but I think it’s still quite expensive, haven’t bought for a long time. Meat is a complete protein, meaning all the essential amino acids in, but can be expensive.

I also often use canned fish and “meats”. I have received a few food parcels since my son was born as I had to give up my career. I was putting the mackerel aside. Then one day I thought of my gran who always had mackerel and sardines in the cupboard. I remembered eating them on toast with her. So this year having been a poor student for two years now and single mum (by choice) for four, I have started eating mackerel in tomato sauce on toast for lunches. It’s actually quite good. There are loads of recipes online. I’m about to look up canned corned beef recipes soon. Not something I can feed to my son, he just says no without trying, but he gets meals at daycare so during the week it’s a good nutritious meal for me. Also I like to mix a can of tuna with cooked pasta (spirals work best) and a hard boiled egg, plus some dressing. That makes a really good dinner, used to take it when working nights and assemble at work. For dressing I get Kewpie Japanese mayo, it’s so full of flavour you only need a tiny squirt. Get the wasabi one if you like a bit of heat and extra flavour punch, my mum got it for me by mistake once, it’s not bad but she didn’t like it.

@walshmeister The frozen whole chickens are usually reasonably priced and you can get a few meals out of them- even make soup out of the carcass once you’ve eaten most of the meat.

What part of the country are you in? If you have spare time and transport you could try fishing or hunting yourself or else you could also try connecting with a local hunter or fisherman to see if the can show you the ropes and possibly share some of their catch.

@walshmeister we are vegan and get most of our daily protein from beans ('pulses') you can get a can of beans for 75 cents at pak'n'sav. there are dozens of different kinds of beans and all are yummy!

@walshmeister Have you got room for a chicken or two for eggs? They are cheap to keep, eat scraps. Ask at the local bowling club etc for leftovers from functions to feed the hens.
This doesn't work for everyone obviously, excess feed attracts rodents, and you will have to feed some proper chook food