Mercury high gas bill despite not using heating at all.

@morehumble I had to change from mercury after exorbitant power bills - close to $500 per month for a two person household up from $180 before trust power was bought out by them. Not surprised they’re ripping you off.

Actually I just finished reading your post and realise how much of a non issue your situation is. You’re paying next to nothing for a 3 person household. Trust me it could be worse, sincerely from someone who was actually paying “whopping” sums per month with mercury.

@tochis Yes, I agree. I had only read the title when I first replied then followed up telling them their bill is a non issue. I don’t know how they can say it’s “whopping”. Lol

@kelvingivens I truly have no idea, no one was willing to help me with it? I was hoping a technician could come look at the box because it just goes over my head looking at it. All I know is since changing companies my bill is half what it use to be, still insane but at least it’s not just under $500 p/m.

@hisdorkette88 I’ve never paid a delivery charge for my LPG bottles, across several properties 🤷🏼‍♂️ the $4 monthly bottle rental includes the swaps.

Never known of anyone else I know with their house on bottled gas to have delivery charges either. I can only assume you’d be paying delivery charges if you owned the bottles (which in itself is a rarity) or just randomly rang a bottle company and asked them to deliver one.

For hot water and cooking, gas just can’t be beaten. Even induction cooktops which have the same instant heat up that gas does has its limitations that gas doesn’t (example induction only heats the parts directly touching it making it useless for curved bottom things like woks)

@christian_commenter_1234 Hi, I work for a LPG delivery company and just want to point out that the $4 a month you're paying definitely shouldn't cover the cylinder exchanges, it should be covering cylinder rental. An exchange is around $150 - $180 for a 45kg cylinder these days.

Perhaps you have lucked out where it's somehow falling through the gaps, or you may be only cooking on the LPG and can expect the cylinders to last 2 - 3 years between exchanges.

You're right about cooking on LPG being as, if not more efficient, as an induction cook top, but LPG is definitely rising in cost and is no longer much cheaper than electricity like it was 10 - 20 years ago.

Edit: I just read lower down in the thread and now understand what you mean, you're right, most companies don't charge for delivery, the cost is built into the price of LPG.

@crow123 Yea the point of $4/month was in relation to comparing to the fixed daily charges for piped gas.

$150-180 a bottle is massively excessive compared to what we pay though, where in the country is that? We only pay $129 a bottle here in Christchurch and that’s not even the cheapest around, we’re just with these guys as their service is better than the guys that are cheaper.

@christian_commenter_1234 If you had your own bottles you wouldn't pay a delivery charge. I've done literally hundred of quotes/comparisons for LPG, they all have delivery charges. Are you talking about the 9kg bottles, because I'm talking about the 45kg ones.

@hisdorkette88 45kg bottles, and would love to see where you’re getting delivery charges from.

None of the main providers of residential LPG bottles have delivery charges as standard. The only time you would pay a delivery charge is if you requested an urgent same day (or possibly next day) delivery of a bottle, which you should never have to do as you have 2 bottles and order a replacement when 1 is empty, so that it gets delivered for free on their next delivery cycle (usually within a few days as in most cities they’ll have a couple of days a week they’re in your area, smaller towns it may only be once a week but the same applies). We are currently with a locally based provider but this was the same when we were with Genesis and for family members on Contact/Rockgas.

@hisdorkette88 I never said we were paying $4 a month for the gas. I said we were paying $4 a month for the bottle rental, in response to someone saying their reason for getting rid of the gas was the daily charge for piped gas being expensive. My point was the bottle charges are far cheaper than fixed daily charges, especially if you aren’t using much gas.

Now you’ve explained what you mean by delivery charge, and it’s what most people would actually call the cost of a bottle, it works out at around $30-35 a month for our usage. We pay $129/bottle, which lasts 3-4 months.