Is there another sub that’s like a step between this one and r/personalfinance?

@shanexo Thanks for the reminder that social mobility can go both ways and we all can learn from each other. There’s nothing genetic about “lower class” or “upper class”, if you learn the behaviors and mindset of the people you interact with, you can move towards that group over time.

@sbschristianmedia I make 60k now and live a much more comfortable life but I was at one point living out of my car and had financially screwed myself over and had to climb out of debt and get through being sued twice from collections.

I didn't grow up in poverty the way I see a lot of others on this sub do, and even when I was living out of my car I still felt okay. I read stories here that absolutely amaze me because I cannot relate at all even after everything I've gone through.

@neco Hey, friend. Welcome.

You're right in that feelings / mindset have a lot to do with finances. I'm doing better now, but my years in real poverty have marked my psyche in ways that other people here get.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean you can't benefit from some stuff on this sub or ask questions as you need to. As someone posted back when COVID closing first started, the "first time?" meme holds true.

It may be the first time you need to figure out how to accomplish a legitimate need without money or where to try for resources - and asking about that here is perfectly fine. Just because some of us have done it so often it seems normal, doesn't mean you are excluded.

Watch. Read. Learn. Grow. Get things back on track. Move on. It's all good.

@resjudicata I see how that was poorly worded now 😂 I mean like income-wise, I’m not doing too hot, but my parents and grandparents gave a LOT to me that puts me ahead. For example, I got a car as a high school graduation present, and my parents still pay for my medical needs. Otherwise, I’m on my own for rent and basic necessities.

@neco Congrats to your parents for letting you struggle a little bit. It'll make you a better & tougher person when adversity comes around and they're not there anymore.

Entitled Kids seem to squander their inheritances away quickly and be back to square one.

I was hurt outside my job and couldn't work temporarily. $14k in my unemployment coffers .....Texas denied me unemployment likely on grounds that I couldn't actively search for a job.
😑😑😑

@neco I think that regardless of your upbringing you're in a situation where you can benefit. You don't even have to be on ebt.

Some things that might vary because of your background, for example, people without financially secure families will be in a much tighter bind than those who do have that to fall back on if they got sick and couldn't work or lost their job etc etc

However that doesn't change the day to day reality of needing to feed, clothe and transport yourself, in an economy that's squeezing even financially secure ppl, and where its a real struggle for those who are truly living paycheck to paycheck where impacts of a bad event could mean struggling to make rent or similar. You're on ebt, so the help you can find here might relate to stretching that ebt budget the most effectively, future planning whilst living paycheck to paycheck, and so on

The fact that you can look and assess that you are in a better position than some just shows you have compassion - it doesn't show you don't belong here.

The only times I've seen ppl kick off is when someone who is pretty well off but is feeling the impact of a recession whinges here about not being able to afford all the luxuries they used to. And I do mean they're whinging about a luxury and not the price of eggs or bread.

I'm in a position similar to you but sort of the opposite way: I grew up extremely poor and am currently the most well off I've been in my life (for the first time I can save at least 100 up to 300 a month) and as soon as that savings is enough to be more than a month's pay I'll truly be in a position where getting sick or losing my job wouldn't be a genuine immediate risk of losing my car, rented home etc etc, I'd have a few weeks to try and get something sorted at least.

I know just how quickly I can lose what I've gained. I'm standing on the edges of actual financial security. I'm not rich or even well off, but also for the first time in my life I'm not in poverty.

I'm here for a few reasons: I can contribute what I know from experience to people going through shit I've been through, and also I still have a lot of learning to do that firmly sits in the realm of poverty finance & budgeting more than it does elsewhere, at least for now. Especially from people who have been where I was & where I am now and can help me make smart choices.

And also while your background definitely provides certain benefits, you're also approaching surviving on low or poverty income without any kind of background knowledge, family who knows how to navigate certain services you're eligible for (eg ebt even tho you sorted thst you) and you benefit from the advice/knowledge that can be shared here.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't also participate in other financial advice subreddits - you should! But you being here is fine too.

Edit to add I also think ppl who have compassion and understanding of the reality of living near or in poverty even if they themselves are better off belong here too, especially if they can share financial advice for situations that just aren't taught in poor families very often or very well

@neco I feel like most redditors have a very flawed perception of what "poverty" actually is. I don't mean OP specifically; I mean most redditors. Also not really meant as an offensive attack, but like, if I'm being completely honest, some of the things that I see people say are just ludicrous. A couple weeks ago, in here, somebody was arguing with me saying that they and their partner make over $100k and are still struggling.

If you make 6 figures and still have money issues, you're not struggling, you have spending/budgeting issues.

@raychel47243 I agree with this assertion in a pre-COVID world kind of way. If someone is struggling and making low six figures, chances are they live in a city like SanFran and/or have student loan debt leading to inadequate cash flow.

@resjudicata There are mainly two reasons why I say that.

First, the poverty line for a single person is about $19k.

Second, if you're making 100k, even if you pay 3k per month for rent, that's 36k per year. That still leaves you with 66k per year. Student loans on top of that aren't leaving you broke.

You need to move around a lot of numbers to justify making 100k between two people and then claiming that you're having the same issues as somebody making 19k or less.

@raychel47243 in a HCOL area, income tax would easily account for on the order of 20%. So there's 20k out of the equation. And rent isn't the only thing that's way over-expensive in an area like SF-it takes a lot more to maintain a comparable standard of living there compared to anywhere else. I expect your 19k figure is an estimate based on the cost of living averaged throughout the US as a whole