Is there another sub that’s like a step between this one and r/personalfinance?

@neco People are dicks everywhere online. You’ll get hate for middle class comments here, but if you’re on assistance- you belong here.

There’s r/middleclassfinance but that’s not a good fit for you

@neco My parents were upper middle class but troubled, so I moved out and away at 18 and have been working class ever since. I have the wierd in between outlook too, so I get it.

@neco Just a few short years ago, I was making pretty comfortable money. Just because you WERE somewhere, doesn't mean you can't be here now. If you've had to live this way at any point, and climbed back out without your family bailing you out, then you may have ideas and perspectives that can help others.

I grew up poor, but never hungry or without a house - we had to raise or hunt a lot of our food, but we never wondered if we were eating that night.

@neco I’ve gone from “picking up and washing random scrunchie up from a parking lot” poor to quintuple that income, and I’m still here. I just mostly lurk now, because I know how little I wanted to hear about others’ good fortune when I was struggling. But there are still lots of good tips and good people here.

It would be great if there was some r/middleclassfinance or something though.

ETA: holy crap, that actually exists!

@neco Everyone makes enough money for r/personalfinance.

You might not make enough money to do all the steps but the steps are “correct” for pretty much everyone. You just need to tailor those steps to your personal situation. This sub is more for venting.

Frugal isn’t really a personal finance sub but it can help you lower your expenses so you can do more things that personal finance recommends.

@neco So, dealing with people can really suck. The Internet anonymity and stress of living cheque to cheque makes it far easier to be a judgemental ball of depressed rage. It's totally them. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when people are being dicks though. Subtle gatekeeping is still gatekeeping. And upper middle class folk discuss their disagreements differently than the poor.

I grew up with lower class working parents. One of my friends from high school grew up in an upper middle class neighborhood. Her perspective of the world differed from mine, and learning how she interacted with the world helped when I had to start passing as higher class in better paying jobs.

Today I might have a better standard of living than most of "where I came from" partly because I was open to learning how people raised in better conditions act. (Part of it was luck, some of it was hard work.) Her perspective shifted after her disability caused her to be unable to work, her father died, and her mother's retirement money barely covered bills. She's asking me for tips on how to be more frugal, for cheap recipes, for how to better navigate SNAP. We are still friends, we both have better life skills by learning from each other and we talk honestly between ourselves about our situations.

You belong here. I belong here. She belongs here too.

@shanexo I love your story about picking up habits/perspectives of higher/"higher" class people. My mom works cleaning houses for doctors and such in a nearby town, so I've had a similar experience of learning how to speak/act. I recently worked with a person who was a hotel manager for many years in that same town, and he added more insight to what I already knew.

Its also Interesting to think about teaching others how to lower their expectations. If you grew up having a lot, you'll likely always have that expectation.

@shanexo This is helpful.

One thing I learned about the supposed higher class people I went to school with is that they had the benefit of inherited wealth in the form of real estate, stocks and bonds, and a network of similar families with means.

If you had a grandparents that immigrated, like I did, then chances are part of your family is not networked, not to mention your parents were the first to go to college or grad school. I'm seeing the wealth transfer now with classmates inheriting 1950s starter homes sans mortgages, now valued in the millions.

These mates are frugal af though, living way beneath their means so they can enjoy their lives.