shanrose

If you are of low income you can try Skinny Jump for internet.

It's a 4g connection and the price is $5 for the first 50GB of the month, then you can buy more data of $5 for 35GB extra. Each month you can spend a maximum of $30 for a total of 225GB.

https://www.skinny.co.nz/jump/home/

@shanrose There is a bit of a waitlist in Christchurch (at least), but you can get put on the waitlist at any of the Christchurch City Libraries if your address is able to use it and you'll be contacted when one is ready for you. Unfortunately, there is a physical limitation on the mobile towers for how many connections to each one, and raw materials are a bit of a hassle to get (thanks Russia) meaning upgrading the towers isn't simple rn.

@bella7 We do them at our community library- first we ask your address to check you can connect. If you can we talk you through the online process, how much data you get, how to top up etc. You need to me able to access your email during the appointment, so check you know your email password and have your phone with you. Our library staff love connecting people to Skinny, so don't be nervous.

@shanrose We don't check anything. Libraries would never ask for any documents, you could just mention you have a community services card if you are comfortable with that. We're pretty sensitive to people's situations and truly want everyone to have access to internet.

@shanrose They loosened the criteria a few years ago, so it's based more on address and not having any other internet. Our staff take about 30 mins to get people set up, and can help if you have any problems or questions later on.

@shanrose I refer people to skinny jump through work, and some feedback i have had was the internet is slow and not ideal for apps or games that need a fast option, so bear that in mind as well. It’s definitely a great option to use but sometimes kids hate it because it’s not fast like the school internet.

@shanrose Signed up for one of these in chch earlier this year. The 4g connection can get quite spotty in the evening when more people are home with phones pinging the tower but that's the nature of the beast. Great speed and value for money rest of the time tho!