Re: the importance of getting all benefits you are eligible for..

@caughtintherye Yes and even if you don't qualify for a Dual Eligible Special Needs Plan (D-SNP), lots of folks qualify for a Chronic Conditions Special Needs Plan (C-SNP) to substantially lower health care costs and improve your benefits. That's what my dad is on and it's great for him!

I was on a D-SNP that had similarly amazing benefits. I miss it! Medicaid is so lacking by comparison 😭

Congrats on the dental work! That's fantastic!!

@codygm Honestly, I had avoided it because I had heard terrible things about it compared to traditional Medicare, and I was a QMB at the time so I wasn’t paying anything for anything medical, but dental work was completely out of the question in my financial state when Endodontists require $1,800 up front for a root canal, then the dentist another $500 for the crown.

I finally got on a D-SNP last year as I needed dental work, and I can’t believe how much better it is. CMS prevents them from dragging out the pre authorization issues (what they do when medicare/Medicaid is not involved) so my preauths go faster than they did on my union healthcare plan (and maannnn, that was good healthcare, but is has nothing on my D-SNP)

@caughtintherye How MA plans were explained to me is that the funding for them goes county-by-county. So if you have a lot of people with high incomes paying into the system and fewer people needing to utilize benefits there are better plans available than where you're somewhere with a lot of people using the benefits and low to moderate incomes.

I got my folks both on good MA plans this year and it will save them around $10K/yr in health costs. I wish I knew better for them 9yrs ago when they retired! 🤦‍♀️

@codygm That explains all the rural hospitals raging against Medicare Advantage plans! I’ve seen so many articles demonizing them in the past year, while I have had nothing but good experiences with mine.

Always boils down to the money.

Not a government benefit, but also wanted to shout out the CVS Extracare (formerly “carepass”) as for the $5/mo or $45 a year fee it gives you $10 extra bucks a month minimum (I usually end up with $20+ each month between extra “$2 off your purchase” type texts and 20% off full price item coupons from my email. Not to mention the extra coupons normally in their app. It also gives you a 20% off any item from their CVS Health brands.

It may not be worth it in all major cities, particularly large or coastal elite cities where bread is $10 - but in the south and Midwest the base prices at CVS aren’t that much more than Walmart and the coupons make up for it majorly on things like nutrition supplements, protein drinks, Etc. for those that need it.

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan with OTC benefits/healthy food benefits, you can use that at CVS (unfortunately, in store only, not online yet) with your extra bucks, coupons, and discounts. I’ve regularly gotten 12-packs of high-protein Boost nutrition drinks for less than half the normal price elsewhere with my OTC credits paying the rest - walking out with no cash spent out of pocket.

@caughtintherye Wait for $45/yr you can get $120 to spend at CVS in a year? Am I reading that right? That's fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

My folks' health plan uses a gift card rewards program so they can get CVS gift cards... wonder if we can pay with those for the annual membership 🤔🤯

Also Discover It right now offers 5% cashback for drug stores... a good coupling for that annual membership fee if they can bill it as CVS 😉

@codygm For anyone utilizing any form of benefits who is also renting in any form.

Apply for housing. Even if you don’t need it NOW. Especially if you have a disability, dependent, or children.

Rents are rising, and the list is exploding. Stay on the housing list, even while you are housed.

My rent doubled last year, but because I was already on the housing list when it happened I was bumped up to priority to get an accessible apartment with enough room for my family at a payment I can afford - and simply living in most public housing situations for 6 months or more can open up opportunities for homeownership programs that are not available if you were not already receiving housing assistance.

I spent 3 years on a waitlist, but now that I am in my subsidized apartment with government documented proper paying history, it opens up the ability to apply for a subsidized mortgage through several different agencies, as well as placing me in a priority for additional help such as down payment assistance.

The agencies will always be locally based to the area you want to reside in, so the best place to start is your local housing authority.

Even if you don’t think you qualify. Even if where you are renting now is perfect and in your price range.

Get on your local housing list, because when housing problems happen, if you’re not already on the list you’re gonna have a bad time.

@caughtintherye This is great advice.

And if anyone is going through DV, they can get you at the top of the HUD list in my state (NY) if you live in the shelter for 90 days (especially if you have SSDI and are diagnosed with a mental illness - it's like extra fast tracked apparently?). I couldn't handle the shelter conditions with my disabilities and didn't qualify for a hotel waiver so I didn't meet the 90 day mark unfortunately but it was great to find out something like that existed at the time.

@codygm Oh yeah. It’s the best.

For every four prescriptions you fill you get another two dollars extra bucks. So if that’s already your pharmacy, it’s basically just getting paid to pick up your meds. If not, they offer free shipping on Rx as part of extracare+ and will literally courier your meds to you within a few hours if you are within range of the store.

I’m looking into my options for the future, I’m young and my disability is permanent/life long.

I do want to go back to school, maybe start a tiny business, something to make me feel useful - but the risk of the benefits cliff is so huge when your average yearly health costs can exceed 6 figures without insurance.

I appreciate you making this post, information is hard to come by - especially accurate and up to date information! I have always found the best resources to be the individuals going through it.

Hell. The 2024 Social Security “Red Book” that was JUST published tells people to pursue opportunities that haven’t been available for 5+ years due to Congress entirely defunding the programs (I have not found a decent program that isn’t a funnel to an Amazon warehouse or similar backbreaking work that I am incapable of) and that is supposedly the “gold standard” for disabled individuals seeking to pursue any form of self-sufficiency!

@caughtintherye Oh yeah my annual health costs are way above 6figures too. Definitely need a job with Healthcare or the ability to pay $500/mo for marketplace health insurance!

It's important to know the limits for SGA (Substantial Gainful Activity) if you are on SSDI. Also important to know the earned income limits for Medicaid, SSI, SNAP, etc. and report any change in income according to their policies. It's like a part time job keeping everything up to date - and the welfare cliff is sooo substantial oh my goodness.

Getting on a PASS (Plan for Achieving Self Sufficiency) is what I should have done when I had SSDI. It's possible it could have bettered the outcome of my CDR if I had been on one. I regret not enrolling! But I fundamentally hate the way their Ticket to Work program works and how they sell your info to shady ass companies for it ughhh.

If you have SSDI, you can also qualify for up to $56K of federal student loan forgiveness. And don't forget to check if you used all your PELL grants!

@codygm I’m looking for a good program to register a PASS plan with, and finding one that works for my goals (graduate education and entrepreneurship) rather than saying I am unworkable because I won’t do their basic funnel plan. I will never be able to do manual labor, I want to use what is left of my brain so I don’t kill what body is still functional.

My undergraduate loans were forgiven through Disability Discharge! I used all my grants getting my undergrad degrees and so not regret that for even a minute. I did all my undergrad through the states career and technical education programs which lowered my initial costs so I only had less than $10000 in loans anyways.

I don’t believe there is an upper limit, but all FAFSA loans to my knowledge are covered. https://www.disabilitydischarge.com/. For anyone with federal student loans and a disability considered to be Total and Permanent.

@caughtintherye That's fantastic! Great info there. I never got the chance to wrack up loans (I was getting paid to go to school at a community college through a work scholarship and PELL grants before becoming disabled) but I hear there's also some great options for public student loan forgiveness (PSLF) these days. I think some states also offer vocational training and job hunting for folks on SNAP! And it's always good to see what your local ILS/CIL (Independent Living Services/Center for Independent Living) offers as well.

I also hear you can do Stony Brook's "Life Experience" credit program for cheaper than paying for most degrees, if you can find a way to make your life experience applicable for devising your own college credits 😄

Best wishes with all of that! Rooting for you 💌

@codygm I had not heard of a ILS/CIL, but will look for one in my area as that sounds a lot closer to the services I am needing.

My disabilities are physical, and only affect me cognitively when something severe flares out of control. I live independently but struggle with my ADLs. I am trying to find the balance between being independent and allowing myself to accept the services I need, but too often they just try to box you into being perfectly healthy or totally incapable of life with not a lot of help in between.

@caughtintherye I know in my state if you qualify for Medicaid you can have a family member receive payments for caregiving if you're above the age of 60. In some states you can also qualify for a HCBS (Home & Community Based Services) Waiver below that age to have folks come in and help with light cleaning/chores or personal care etc.

But in my state you have to be on Medicaid and be on a HARP plan I think.

I was told that for my disabilities, to get on a HARP plan I'd basically have to be enrolled in an IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program) again for mental health (cuz they don't count my physical issues as much/they don't have as much funding for it) - and my last one has shut down. The next closest that qualifies under ACT or PROs is 45mins away. Fml. I also mainly have physical issues too that lead to mental health stuff for flareups so it's frustrating.

My folks' Medicare Advantage plan also offers them 60hrs of caregiving per year through a local service. Good to read the fine print of what's offered!