corey7973

Went to get groceries early this morning (7:30), noticed fuel was $2.53 a litre and thought score! I’ll get a 6c off voucher after my shop too.
Came out.
Price had gone up to $2.70 🫠

@corey7973 I've just come back from Aus after near 20 years. One thing that's stuck out is that they investigate much more closely the price of fuel and these associated deals. This seems pure price fixing to me.

@corey7973 In Christchurch right now, Gull is 12c cheaper than Pack and save.

That's retail.

P&S is expensive, huge margin built in. I'd have checked Gaspy on coming out and gone elsewhere if that's an option where you are.

@dledoux Gull here is always the most expensive (beside a hospital), our pak n sav consistently sets to the lowest price in town and then gives the 6c on top. There is no hard and fast rule that applies everywhere for how they act/set prices.

@dledoux Gaspy isn't up to date until a user updates it. On my last trip to Gisborne I got to Rotorua and checked lowest fuel price. Waitomo, 1 hour ago. Went there and it had gone up 11c.

@edenspeak Yes I understand how crowdsourcing works. But until oil companies are forced to make their pricing available online, it's the only game in town.

How would you solve the problem?

@corey7973 Gulls 91 contains ethanol... In my last car (Nissan Wingroad station wagon) i got 10% less Km per tank than all other fuel brands. Def wasn't cheaper to buy Gull for me. Now i generally buy PnS fuel (which is currently supplied by Mobil) with a voucher and watch Gaspy for the best timing. Where I live, it's usually Friday daytime for the best discount level.

@wildcatfan09 It's interesting you say that because I filled up with Gull this week (I usually go to Caltex), and the fuel smelt different. I wondered if there were some differences in standards of petrol. My petrols also gone significantly lower this week when I've barely been using the car.

@nicknicks Reset your trip counter when you fill the tank and keep an eye on how many Kms you've done when the tank is approaching Empty... You'll soon notice if there is a change in fuel consumption when refilling at Gull vs everywhere else.

@wildcatfan09 Well, there was already enough difference that I noticed it. I was shocked when I looked at my tank yesterday. There's 20% less than there usually would be. I was specifically light on my car usage this week on purpose too which is why it stuck out to me. I just didn't put the weird smell and the lower petrol together til you said.