Does anyone know the best way to get affordable fish?

@ashleyjordan2144 Love canned mackerel in tomatoe sauce. Cook it like a curry, Fiji-Indian style (onions, garlic, little tumeric, salt, squeeze lemon & chopped coriander) and serve over a bed of steaming rice. It's typically a sauce/ gravy curry so there's plenty leftover

@mazin Download the app "free fish heads"

It's one where fishermen with excess fish or fish heads match up with people who want the heads or excess.

@admissionbangalore Not a joke! We heard about it years ago on the ITM Fishing Show and used it for our wings, heads and a few other bits over the years.

So good to be able to reduce waste.

We have a plentiful supply of fish and because of that, I can be quite fussy. This means others who don't have that luxury can use the parts we don't want so nothing goes to waste.

We have an Asian guy down the road to takes the skins and scales as well.

Ended up setting up our own little local Facebook group so haven't used the app in a while.

@chrisxxcc Awesome seeing this mentioned. I am developing the new version of this app. Hope to have it ready soon. Apologies for anyone who can't use it in the mean time.

@mazin Here in Auckland Oceanz is really good for fresh fish. Hoki for $18 a kg, Trevally $22 a kg etc...

The issue with Palmy is there isn't a lot around - have you had a search for any fishmongers in your area?

Sometimes some of them will have large 5kg+ boxes of frozen Hoki or other basic fish which they often hawk off for $10 - $12 a kilo depending on the fish.

@mazin Sealord do canned smoked mackerel fillet ( $6.90 for a 450g tin) that can be made up into a white sauce. Tastes very nice. So good that I made some for my dad and he asked who caught and smoked the fish for me. He couldnt believe it was canned. We have it on toast or as a smoked fish pie with pasta shells in it to bulk it out or mashed potato and kumara on top

@mazin Learn to work with whole fish. PNS often has freakishly good pricing on whole fish, they'll clean it for you & all you have to do is learn how to remove the meat. We've had some good feeds this way & used the bones for stock after.

@mazin Sardines from a tin on hot buttered toast was my breakfast of choice for many years whilst flatting and earning $2.76/hr as an apprentice.

Great source of protein, omega 3 & 6 and a whole heap of other important brain chemicals,

@mazin I've seen frozen Basa a few times at Pak n Sav for like $10/kg or something. It tastes okay, it's a freshwater fish from Asia, low flavour profile, so you want to season it well. Used it in a fish curry.