Does anyone know the best way to get affordable fish?

@mazin
Is buying a whole fish even worth it by the time you remove everything?

If you're willing to buy whole fish you could always just gut it then wrap it in tinfoil with preferred seasonings and slow cook it in an oven or bbq and pick at it.
You may also be able to pull majority of the bones out in one go depending on how you do it.

@mazin If you’re not confident filleting, flounder are a good option. They’re cheap, bought whole. Just flick the guts out if you’re squeamish, salt them and throw them straight into a pan with butter. Flip them, cook the other side, then plate and pick off the flesh with a fork - once you’re done with one side just lift out the backbone and get started on the other

Very delicious and often quite cheap

Edit:words

@mazin Yes - my local Pak n Save has clearance fish fillets on Tuesdays (may be different in other locations). It’s usually got a best before of the same day or the day after (i.e. you have to cook it ASAP) but perfectly good. I go in the morning for more choice but have had success in the evenings.

Otherwise, frozen basa from Asian supermarkets is great.

@mazin The new world in Whangarei often has really good specials on fish. Half price at least. I got 2 bluefin tuna steaks for $5 and 2 sword fish steaks for $6 the other day. Could be worth checking out in palmy.

@mazin Our pak n save has non-crumbed fillets of frozen fish in freezers near the fish section (different place to where the crumbed hoki comes from). We've tried frozen orange roughy, which was average, and frozen basa which was super delicious and moist, it defrosted really well and made great tacos!

@mazin Eeeling. Just get some chunks of crappy off meat and a hand line and head to a local waterway. They have white fillets that taste like trout. Baked in the oven with herbs or pan fried. Brill.

@chrisx OK then, find a DOC online guide to tell the diff between longfin and shortfin and let the longies go back. Shortfin for the win and some good meals.

@reddrake456 I had a few pieces of traditionally harvested and smoked tuna/eel by a kaitiaki of local waterways. Best thing I've eaten in a looong time. Just amazing flavour. Great crunch to the skin, perfect chewiness just inside that and beautiful delicate flesh with amazing flavour. So nice and thoughtfully gathered, gifted to us.

@mazin In Nelson, Westcoast, and Timaru, you can buy second tier fish for 10 bucks per a few kilos directly at sealord or tally or something similar. You might do well knowing people who work for them.
If you own a business, you could try buying salmon regularly from salmon farms. It's usually priced at $30 per kilo for fileted salmon.