@rickt65 Have you tried putting on a jumper instead of turning on your heating system?

Have you tried using a butane gas camping cooktop?

Have you tried doing everything in the dark/using your phone flashlight?

These are all things you can do that will still result in getting shafted by the power companies, and you won’t feel any better about it.

Glad I could help!

@totlanh I get the /s here, but seriously, we are a low usage household. 11.5 kwh/day average (4 in the house), which is almost half the average. Apart from cold showers, I don't think that there's much more we can do...

@rickt65 that’s seriously low usage! our house uses 5 kwh a day when we’re away - average when home is around 30 kwh for 2 of us. as high as 50 sometimes.

@rickt65 we use the heat pump and dryer most days in winter. i’m also big on smart home tech so having around 30+ connected devices probably adds up. but i always buy power months ahead with powershop which saves me hundreds a year.

@romans_5 that’s really efficient! just keeping our security cameras on and lights scheduled while we’re away keeps our usage up. i also leave our server running but these things are all low voltage.

@deandrade Damn that's high. Have a ~150sqm house full of gadgets and 2 adults, and it's, too about 5 per day when we're away. But on a typical normal day (admittedly, I haven't had a chance to see how much heating effects this yet) - cooking, laundry, dishwasher, hot showers, TV and computers running 24/7 - I'm around 15kwh.

I only ever go into 30-50 range if I am recharging my Tesla.

@deandrade This comment made me check mine and I average about 6kwh a day.

I’m super curious about what sort of devices you have. Not in a judgemental way lol I’m just trying to imagine all the fun gadgets you have in your life.

@deandrade So I’m probably the least tech savvy person you will ever met and I had to Google what home automation was and it came up telling me allllll the things I can get my home to do for me.

One day when I do renovations I’m going to have all the home automation a girl can dream of!

@ionna it’s so addictive. i hard wired every room with ethernet when we renovated. once you start using home assistant it’s very difficult to stop argh!

@deandrade Hahahaha I don’t even know what that means but I’m going to do it when I reno! If you ever feel like sharing devices because you are excited just hollaaa at your girl. I feel like I’ve stumbled across something that’s going to make future me VERY HAPPY…

@ionna Your usage is seriously low! I have a 3 person household (1 is a baby)
I do 3 loads of washing every 2 days on average.
Have a freezer and fridge as well as regular kitchen appliances. Electric water cylinder and have a fire for heating. I don’t use lights during the day and our usage is 22kwh a day
How do you get yours so low???