Bi-weekly advice thread April 13, 2020. All questions about your personal situation should be asked here

@henry_ I recently(last week) applied(or bought) a term plan from HDFC Life 3D plan but the decision was postponed(for 4 months) highlighting the issue as "Residential Risk". I am currently an NRI living in the USA.

- Do you think it could be because of the coronavirus?

- Is there anything I could do about it now?

@henry_ I had some capital to invest in some shares, till now invested 50% in some shares. I was expecting the shares might go down and I would average them. But, it is the opposite right now. Shall I wait or invest the rest in weekly SIP?
Looks like I missed the bottom of the crash :(

@henry_ Looking to start investing in MF . Rs 20000 per month is what I am comfortable with for now . Should I just go with 2 Large Cap MFs given how situation is now or should I look at small cap also ( chance of eventual upswing ) . Any MF recos ?

@rickyknight1 If you are unwilling to take a lot of risks small caps are a no no.

If 20k is all you invest in equity you may pick the nifty 50 and maybe the nifty next 50 too if you are okay with some more volatility. You may want to check out US finds too.

I am assuming that the debt portion is separate.

@henry_ I have too many mutual funds, please let me know which knew to stop, I've made a beginner mistake of investing in too many funds now, I've stopped a few already but many still remain

I've also added reason for choosing the funds, each fund gets 2k a month, except mirae which is 4k
  • Axis Long Term Equity (G), tax saving
  • Axis Mid Cap (G), liked the top companies in fund, especially pharma and retail related
  • Axis Small Cap (G), liked the top companies in fund, especially speciality chem and infra related
  • BNP Paribas India Consumption (G), low ter and consumption based fund
  • DSP Healthcare (G),thought for short-term investment to ride the wave in the field
  • IDFC Govt Securities Constant Maturity (G), had to add a debt fund
  • Invesco India Infrastructure (G), earlier portfolio was very banking centric, hence added for diversification, also believing in long term infra story
  • Mirae Tax Saver (G), tax saving low ter
  • UTI Nifty Index (G), due to many mentions here and low ter
  • UTI Nifty Next 50 Index (G), due to many mentions here and low ter

@raulcraven Now is a good time to just sell (assuming at loss) and consolidate your portfolio. Loss can be offset gains for up to next 8 years.

Which to sell is difficult to answer but limit to 2-4 total funds, one in each category.

@raulcraven Drop everything except the index and ELSS funds.

If you know better in the future and want to bet your money, then you can think of reintroducing sectoral funds.

Are these all direct funds?
Where is the debt portion?

@nischansr Okay

All direct funds

There's only 1 debt fund for now, I started less than a year back and wanted to load up on as much equity as possible. Any suggestions for debt funds?

@henry_ I see quite a few posts here in this thread about people using online brokers like Zerodha, etc to invest. This question is coming from a moderately experienced MF investor. Other than having a consolidated and simplified view of the portfolios, are there any other reasons to have the investments done through an online broker rather than using the institution’s own sites (Axis MF, LTFS, DSP)?

@henry_ How to invest in Sovereign Gold Bond?
What's the procedure, I can't seem to find any proper instructions?

Is it listed on Zerodha or Upstox directly as just another Stock/ETF?