US & India saving approach

@julienmarin I prefer a Roth 401(k) over a traditional in these cases where I'd need the money early - the penalty on early withdrawals is only on the earnings part for Roth 401(k), whereas for traditional 401(k) it's 10% on the entire amount. See if your employer offers a Roth 401k. Of course, you should definitely contribute enough to get the max match from your employer.

I don't like Roth IRA if you're withdrawing early. You still pay tax on your earnings after 5 years so there's literally no point.

VTSAX is indeed spectacular, so you can dump extra money there.

Since your US investments are not for very long duration, it dramatically increases the risk since markets may fall just before you want to move back to India. So either start moving funds to Vanguard money market fund well before you need to leave, or get an options account with Robinhood or Tastyworks and hedge with put options. (You need to learn options well before doing this though).

The biggest thing you're doing wrong now is leaving money on the table by not maxing your employer match.

@corruptedsoul Thank you for your valuable input. My employer offers both Roth & traditional 401(k). I went with traditional as its saves on month on month tax. Hearing to everyone's input; I increased it to 4%.

I will open an IRA account as next step. I found being asked to print and mail to Vanguard. I need to look bit more into it.