Bi-Weekly Advice Thread March 24, 2024: All Your Personal Queries

@almokdad
What could be going wrong?

All is well and on schedule.

The from fund will be debited tomorrow (depending on type of funds) and the to fund will be credited one day after that.

Statements are available with a one day delay so don't panic tomorrow.

@almokdad Correction.

I thought it was supposed to start today.

Since it was 22, the "from/to fund" will be debited/credited today (assuming t+1 redemption) and tomorrow statement should reflect it.

@henry_ 26 M and work as a software developer earning about 1.6L per month. I live in Hyderabad, with my parents, my Uncle & my Aunt. (Long story short, my father took the responsibility of taking care of my Uncle & Aunt, hence we live together. Me & my parents live in ground floor. My Uncle & my Aunt live in the first floor). My father earns about 30-40K per month. My uncle earns a bit sufficient to feed themselves and pay the bills and thats about it. Our current house (1000 sqft) is congested & full of repairs. Since I am earning a decent bit now, we want to upgrade our lifestyle. I sat down with my parents yesterday to understand how they would like my future plans to be.

My father wants me to do these within the next 5 years:
  • Buy a property for us to move to.
  • Reconstruct current house to an Apartment and give for rents. While construction, we have to find a rental place for my Uncle & Aunt.
My mother wants me to do these:
  • Buy a property within a year and give for rent.
  • Wait until ancestral land is sold (when this would happen is uncertain) and use those gained funds to reconstruct our current house. While construction, we have to find a rental place for my Uncle & Aunt. After construction, my Uncle & Aunt will live in ground floor, me & parents live in first & second floors and remaining floors (if possible to construct) can be given for rent.
My initial plan:
  • Buy commercial property for rental income.
  • Me & my parents move to a rental place. Also find rental place for my Uncle & Aunt. Then, reconstruct current house to an Apartment and give for rents.
  • After 2 years, purchase an independent house/villa where me & my parents will move to.
Some common things that we agree on:
  • Purchase property within 3-4 years.
I am looking for guidance & wisdom. Are there any flaws in my plan? Should I reconsider anything? Are there any better alternatives?

@dxlm88 You didn't mention your current net worth like for buying a commercial property, buying a villa, reconstruction of old house all these require huge capital.

And why rental income is so much priority?

@henry_ Hi guys and girls, I am currently earning around 40000 Per month and I want to start investing in Stocks, Mutual Funds etc. but not interested in Option trading as I don't have the time, But I get thrown off by theses heavy words such as Large Cap, Index funds, Direct Growth etc. As you can see, I am a total novice. So I wanted a suggestion regarding How can i learn about all this,Keep in mind I only want to invest in mutual funds and stocks.Are there any books or courses that I need to study so that I know what I am doing.I have only bought 27 shares of JioFin on some recommendation.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

@henry_ Posting again.
Hi, I am planning to invest 15 lakh in equity mutual funds. I plan to stay invested for atleast 5 years. Is this a good time to do a lumpsum investment? If yes, please suggest some mfs to invest in.

@henry_ HDFC ergo Optima Secure or Care Supreme?

Looking for family floater. Hdfc premiums look 50% higher, so a bit confused but Ditto guys suggest they are better when it comes to claim settlement

@henry_ Hi All,

I had started a SIP of Rs 5000/month in UTI MF. I'm trying to modify it now to change to Rs 20000 but it's not allowing me.

Error message:

Minimum amount to be entered is ₹500Maximum amount to be entered is ₹5,000

Do I need to create 4 SIPs of Rs 5000 each?

Thanks in Advance!

@henry_ How do we calculate tax payable on US stocks? Especially company stocks that I got a few years back while I was working for them, and the value has risen some amount since then. When it got vested they did some some portion of it to cover the vesting, but the value has risen since then (and rupee has gone done vs. dollar).

@daviddenman During vest, some portion is sold to cover income tax. Now whatever profit post vest acquisition price results into capital gains. If Holding period less than 24 months, it is STCG & taxed as per slab. More than 24 months, it is LTCG & taxed at 20%.

Now dollar to INR pricing & capital gain need some attention. Better to get it done by CA.