PSA: Don't pay for Skip the Dishes with Simplii Visa

@gelacy It kinda makes sense that they’d be labelled as a retail outlet, I assume they buy the food from the restaurant and then charge the customer, therefore their just a middle man. Still sucks though.

@theeagle94 Someone said that using Simplii card on google pay to pay for Skip does get you the 4% though, so that's an option. I've never used google pay, but I just might, more for the convenience of having all my cards with me even if I forgot my wallet at home.

@gelacy By the way TD recently bumped their cash back card (Infinite Visa, maybe others?) to give double on Skip, Uber eats and some others as well as Grocery delivery.
So that would be 6% for grocery store delivery and 2% for third party food delivery. Until August 15th

6% in Cash Back Dollars for each $1.00 in Purchases...at participating Grocery Delivery merchants classified as PC Express, Goodfood, Save‑On‑Foods Online, Grocery Gateway, SPUD.ca, metro.ca online grocery, GOcery or Mister Produce ... 2% in Cash Back Dollars for each $1.00 in Purchases...at other merchants classified as Instacart, HelloFresh, Inabuggy, Chefs Plate, Cornershop, Cook it, The Organic Box, GoJava, Cartly, CultivatR, MissFresh, The Grocery Link, Uber Eats, DoorDash, SkipTheDishes, Just Eat or Chanmao Inc.

@vinthesent Interesting. As it stands though, I'm a single guy, and a 120$/year card just isn't worth it to me. I'm more likely to consider Scotiabank's card to be honest too, but either way it'll be years before I pick either, and things will probably change by then so yeah, whatever.

@gelacy They waive the fee for the first year, and ongoing with $5K balance in a chequing account. Only way it makes sense. Opportunity cost though. They might have doubled it on their regular free cash back Visa too, but the % obviously lower to begin with.

@vinthesent So does Scotiabank, and still doing the math on whether or not I can earn more money by leaving that money elsewhere. 5,000$ at 2% in EQbank earns me 100$ after all, so it 'costs' me 20$ if I leave that money in EQ instead of the TD chequing. It's free if I park 5,000$ there, but then that 5,000$ becomes stuck and I can't do anything with it. It could be an emergency fund, but then that means I have to change the credit card the moment I need to use that emergency fund.

gonna have to redo the math in a few years, if inflation goes lower still then EQ won'T keep 2%, but if it goes up and EQ gets to 2.4%, then I'll be paid more to park 5,000$ there than in TD's account.

Either way I won'T get any card for a few years so the math will have to be redone, but yeah I agree with you.

@gelacy Skip app delivery services if at all possible because they gouge restaurants for 20-30% ON TOP of the delivery charges. If you are stuck you are stuck but be aware they are destroying the entire profit margin of the restaurant. Going there for take out is best.

@nunpui Well yes, but I do like eating from restaurants 2-3 times a month. I don't think that's excessive.

Going there for take out is best.

I don't have a car. My options are therefore to spend an hour+ bussing there, or paying for an Uber to get me there, I pick up my order, and then pay Uber to drive me back. If we didn't have a quarantine I would absolutely go there and tip, but I can't. Therefore, Uber eats is my best option.

@gelacy I saw the same, about 30%. I also saw restaurants post that if you ask for a refund (like I did a few times because of incorrect orders), Uber Eats cancels the transaction without the restaurant authorization.

This said I'm like you, without a car, so I use both service since and choose the one with cheaper delivery fees.