I’m 21 and don’t understand taxes or what to do with them?

@debbie_s They're a whole lot more tedious than they should be, that's for sure.

I still manage to fill them fairly quickly. Once you know you just have to calculate your taxable income, tax credits, do the multiplications and subtraction, you can just strategically input the important numbers in a few places and leave almost all of the form blank.

Almost none of the lines are going to be relevant so the form is functionally only a third of a page long.

@timelesstim A form where you have to actively leave 95% of it blank is pretty much the definition of a tedious process. Like realistically you'd have to read every line of the paper form to determine if it applies to you or not. I'm sure that most people that feel confident in filing their taxes every year have never filed a paper copy of their taxes and rely on software (I include myself in this cohort) to avoid dealing with the nightmare of the actual paper forms.

@debbie_s I've been filing my taxes myself since I started working and while I find them easy to do, they are extraordinarily tedious. My US taxes consist of me filling out the entire form, and then filling out a different form to essentially erase the first form. It's a pain in the ass.

@debbie_s It should be, but they are fairly simple for 90% of people. I take maybe ten minutes to enter al the info even before I retired with T4s, T3, T5, RRSP contribution slips, etc...