Have groceries gone up? Backed up with 4 years worth of data

@murrisch Most bacon in the grocery store has gotten pretty garbage and well overpriced. Weirdly, the Food Basics house brand bacon is reasonably good (not as good as my own recipe or our local butcher) but for the price ($11.49 for a 1kg package and often goes on sale for $9.99) it is pretty fantastic. It also doesn't shrink to almost nothing while cooking it like most of the other brands.

@resjudicata Costco is THE gold standard for regular bacon though. Roughly $5 or less per 500g, and top quality stuff. The low sodium is the best non-specialty bacon I've ever had.

@murrisch Cheese was first for me. I remember cheese blocks being 600g when I was a kid, and I've slowly seen them go down to 500g, 450g, and now most are 400g, yet the price has steadily climbed $3 - $5/block depending on brand.

@hoffer As a kid, my mom would buy the big 908g blocks when they were on sale for $7-8 Then they became 900g blocks, then 800g blocks, now they're 750g blocks and on sale for $14.99 and I don't buy much cheese unless I'm planning on making macaroni and cheese or a cheese sauce on veggies. Even the little 400g blocks are now $10+ for the decent brands

@murrisch So I definitely haven’t been going crazy for the past couple of years? That’s good to know, I remember bacon lasting more than feeding 3 maybe 4 people if you’re lucky.