PSA: Don't pay for Skip the Dishes with Simplii Visa

@johake From here Skip is apparently registered as groceries and retail for Visa (Simplii), under Taxi and public transit for Mastercard (Tangerine) and as restaurants for Amex

@auddieme I don't think it's Skip's fault, they're probably trying to follow the different and contradictory guidelines between Visa, Mastercard, and Amex.

@gelacy Yeah, I agree they wouldn't want to have done that. Do they usually not let merchants register in multiple categories? I can see most companies belonging in multiple categories.

@auddieme
Do they usually not let merchants register in multiple categories? I can see most companies belonging in multiple categories.

I have no idea, but I don't think they do. If a company is registered in multiple categories, how is the card supposed to determine which category applies to the merchant at the time you're making the purchase? Visa, Mastercard, and Amex likely have guidelines (and probably different and contradictory ones at that), so a merchant probably has to pick one, and they'll probably be different ones depending on Visa, Mastercard, or Amex.

@johake I bought beer the other day direct from the brewery and I got 2% for it counting as a restaurant. And yet Costco won't count for groceries. Go figure.

@gelacy my Tangerine 2% category is set to Parking/Public Transportation, I can confirm that I get the 2% cashback when I order from Uber Eats, its listed as "Taxis & Public Transportation" category.

@pope66 One thing about the Tangerine categories is there’s a Tangerine Money Back Category and a Transaction Category and the two don’t necessarily match. I ordered Uber Eats last month and the Transaction Category is Taxis and Public Transportation but the Money Back Category is Restaurants. So you only get the 2% if it’s set to restaurants

@pope66 That's interesting, it means that Skip is registered as "groceries and retail" for Visa, "Taxi & public transportation" with Mastercard, and as per /@theoden, classed as "restaurant" for Amex.

I have taxi and public transport as a category on my Tangerine too, might use that instead, but there'S nothing that Skip has that Uber eats doesn'T have, so I suppose I'll stick to Uber (Assuming the restaurant doesn't have its own delivery service)

@gelacy Simplii Visa. Do you pay with the card directly or with Google Pay or another wallet app? I use Google Pay, I wonder if there's something abstracting it in your case.

@gelacy I ordered from my local Greek restaurant and it was listed on my Tangerine statement as electronics. Unfortunately, not a lot you can do about it ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@katariamax Hahaha wow that's something :p

Since I have Simplii Visa for restaurants (and 99.9% of the time it works fine), I use Tangerine for groceries, public transit (would be gas if I had a car), and recurring bills. Works out well for me.