Craft stores, such as Michaels, A.C. Moore and JoAnne’s offer half off coupons frequently. I have used these to get some great presents for my kids

khemlin

I use Michaels because that is what we have locally, but I know there are several craft type stores that do this. They also accept competitors coupons. For example, today Michael’s had no 50% offers, but I used a JoAnne’s “50% off one regularly priced item” to get a $16 dinosaur toy for $8.

You can get the coupons on their website and either print it or just have the cashier scan it right on your phone.

These stores have a surprising amount of non-crafty toys, especially around the holidays. Yes, the coupons are only good for one item per trip, but I try to pop in there anytime I’m in the area. I have also had my husband or one of my older kids come with me and use a coupon as well. This has really helped me fill up under the Christmas tree.

@khemlin Additional tip: these places almost always have furnishings for cheap, largely because they're raw wood. I bought a picture shelf, added hooks to the bottom, hung it on some nails in my entryway. It's now where I hang my car keys and leash for my dog, and I put my wallet and work badge on the shelf part. Really handy and it was like $4 + paint.

They sell floating shelves, coat hook setups, cube storage shelves, wooden crates. All you have to do is sand and paint, and they sell paint bottles as cheap as $.50.

@khemlin Hobby Lobby always has a 40% off a regular priced item on their website or in their app. Their departments rotate with 50% sales, so it's usually easy to wait 3-5 weeks for the right department to go on sale.

@cdepetro The departmets also follow the same schedule, so the sales can be predicted.

Also, Hobby Lobby has cheaper base price items than Michaels, which is why Hobby Lobby doesn't accept competitors coupons and Michaels does. Might be worth it to price match/account for sales and coupons, and see which is actually cheaper.

@khemlin Caveat. The half off coupons are only off a regular priced (non sale) item. At AC Moore, most of the kids' craft kids (which I am getting my nieces) are on sale until after Christmas.

They also have a good selection (AC Moore at least) of board games and puzzles for non crafty kids

@asalia207 They usually will let you take the coupon off a full price item if the coupon is better than the sale. Also if you don’t have a coupon ask the cashier (nicely) if they can still give you one. They often do it to be nice back

@khemlin Don't forget that Michael's hosts craft events on the weekends, sometimes for free. My kids had fun with the experience. On the 15th, it's Christmas picture frames for only a few bucks and they supply decor and a workspace. Put in a photo and you have a handmade gift for a loved one. Look for in store events, too.