Alphabet Inc. (GOOG, GOOGL) Analysis

bea1271

Hey Guys whats up, this is my first analysis. I would like to get some feedback on it so give me your thoughts.

Core Business​

Google’s operations are divided in three categories: Google Services, Google Cloud and so called “Other Bets” consisting of several ventures including A.I., robotics, autonomous driving and pharmacy. As Google Services and Google Cloud generate >99% of Google’s revenue I won’t go into much detail on the “Other Bets” Category.

Relevant Acquisitions​

Through it’s acquisition activity google amassed around 250 acquisitions, expanding their research capabilities in fields like A.I., quantum computing and robotics. Below the most important ones are summarized.

Youtube

The most famous one of all Google acquisitions. Purchased in 2006 for 1.65 billion dollars Youtube has risen to world wide success and an unchallenged standing almost as relevant as it’s parent company. With revenues as high as 28,8 billion dollars (2021), it generates over 10% of Google’s revenue. It has proven to further expand their earnings-power besides ads with it’s Youtube Premium and Music subscription, which according to Alphabet was the major contributer to an increase of $6.3 billion in Google’s “Other Revenues” (1).

DoubleClick

DoubleClick was an ad service provider, who worked with advertising agencies and served major brands like Coca-Cola, GM and Microsoft. After it’s acquisition in 2008 for $3.1 billion lots of customer relations and technology was integrated into Googles ad business. In 2018 Google announced it’s plan to rebrand all ad platforms and merged DoubleClick with Googles own ad platform into the new Google Marketing Platform (2).

Motorola Mobility

When Google acquired Motorola in 2011, the company was struggling to gain a foothold in the smartphone business and reported the fifth straight quarter of losses. The company cost $12.5 billion dollar, Google’s largest acquisition, and was motivated as a strategic move to increase Google’s patent ownership and defend the Android operating system. After closing the deal Google sold parts of the business to Arris Group for $2.35 billion and led the smartphone division to success through a focus on high-quality entry-level smartphones. In 2014 Google sold Motorola for $2.91 billion, while keeping a major part of the patents. (3)

Mandiant

Google announced that Mandiant would be acquired in March 2022, to get integrated into the Google Cloud division.

Fitbit

Fitbit, a producer of wearable technology was acquired by Google in January 2021 and integrated into it’s hardware division.

Nest Labs

To expand it’s home automation business Google acquired Nest labs in 2014 for §3.2 billion and merged it with the Google Home brand in 2018 to create Google Nest.

Industry Enviroment / Competition​

Advertising

Through it’s search engine and Youtube, Google generates significant revenue with advertisment campaigns for it’s customers. It is unchallenged with a market share of 92% for it’s search engine and Google Chrome leading the browser market with 65% (4). Competition in it’s most relevant business is almost irrelevant for it’s earnings power and market position as most major players (Microsoft with Bing, Yahoo) have failed to attack it.

Google Cloud

In the highly competitive cloud computing industry Google competes with giants like Microsoft, Alibaba and Amazon. It isn’t in a leading position, but increased it’s market share from 5% (2017) to 10% (2021) with only AWS and Microsoft Azure above. (5) (6)

Income Statement​

Revenue Growth​

Google’s revenue has increased by an average of 21% annually in the last 10 years. With Growth accelerating in the past 5 years (23,3%), the question should be if similar growth can be expected in the future.

Google’s main business of advertising stands as strong as we have discussed above and with more digitilization and e-commerce growth not slowing down the market for it’s search engine and it’s ads will continue to grow. Growth projections in that business reach from 11% to 15%. (8) (9)

As Google Cloud has gained more market share in the last years and has grown it’s revenue by more than 40% on average, it’s safe to say that it will grow at least as much as the overall cloud computing industry if not more. In a recent market research report a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of over 16% was forecasted until 2026. We will take that at face value for our worst case scenario and will add to it as in a best case scenario, Google will gain more market share. (10)

Cost Development​

Costs as a Percentage of Revenue (Table 1)

Cost of revenues
38,92%
41,12%
43,52%
44,42%
46,42%
43,06%

R&D
15,45%
15,00%
15,65%
16,07%
15,11%
12,25%

Sales and Marketing
11,61%
11,63%
11,94%
11,41%
9,83%
8,89%

General & Admin
7,74%
6,20%
5,94%
5,90%
6,05%
5,24%

European fines
0,00%
2,47%
3,71%
1,05%
0,00%
0,00%

Cost Development as a Percentage of Revenue (Table 2)

Cost of revenues

5,64%
5,85%
2,06%
4,51%
-7,24%

R&D

-2,94%
4,39%
2,68%
-6,02%
-18,90%

Sales and Marketing

0,13%
2,64%
-4,44%
-13,81%
-9,55%

General & Admin

-19,88%
-4,19%
-0,65%
2,61%
-13,40%

European fines

50,17%
-71,71%
-100,00%

Cost Development in general (Table 3)

Cost of revenues

5,64%
5,85%
2,06%
4,51%
-7,24%

R&D

-2,94%
4,39%
2,68%
-6,02%
-18,90%

Sales and Marketing

0,13%
2,64%
-4,44%
-13,81%
-9,55%

General & Admin

-19,88%
-4,19%
-0,65%
2,61%
-13,40%

European fines

50,17%
-71,71%
-100,00%

In recent history Google was able to decrease different parts of it’s costs effectively, thus increasing profitablility. Cost of revenue is made up of ****traffic acquisition costs (TAC) and other revenue costs. TAC consists of payments made to traffic distributors, giving Google the platform and audience to advertise for it’s clients.

Other revenue costs consist of licensing fees for acquired content sold on YouTube and Google Play, expenses in it’s data centers and costs related to Google’s hardware business.

Composition of cost of revenue (COR) (Table 4)

Cost in ($ Mio)/Year

TAC

Other COR

Total COR

With past cost development it’s important to use the studied data to make forecasts into the future regarding revenue, cost and profit development to feed our DCF model. We will look for patterns in which relation costs follow growing revenue. With the following table I will try to point that out.

2013-2014
2014-2015
2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020
2020-2021
Average

Revenue Growth
18,88%
13,62%
20,38%
22,80%
23,42%
18,30%
12,77%
41,15%
21,42%

COR
16,81%
9,63%
24,76%
29,73%
30,64%
20,73%
17,85%
30,93%
22,64%

R&D
37,76%
24,92%
13,56%
19,19%
28,84%
21,47%
5,98%
14,47%
20,77%

Sales and Market
24,06%
11,27%
15,89%
22,97%
26,68%
13,05%
-2,81%
27,67%
17,35%

General&Admin
32,02%
4,87%
13,84%
-1,62%
18,25%
17,54%
15,72%
22,24%
15,36%

The cost of revenue has trailed revenue quite close and I expect it to continue to be around 40-43% of all revenue. R&D expenses have risen with revenue but have slown down in recent years. It’s not attached to revenue growth directly, but we will assume a small average growth of 10% for the upcoming years as the R&D expenses are already high enough to guarantee Google to be a potential player in all upcoming high-tech industries. Further reductions in the SGA expenses relative to revenue is possible with revenue outpacing those costs, as it has been seen in the past. Still we will assume it too be just stable to have a more conservative approach.

Balance Sheet​

Debt Level​

Google’s long term debt is almost non-existing with $15 billion. It’s earnings were >$70 billion in 2021 so it’s debt could have been paid off with just 20% of that. The company also hold’s $21 billion in cash, which makes debt for the valuation almost irrelevant.

Capital Intensity​

As Google’s business needs large amounts of land, offices and server infrastructure. Aside from large marketable securities positions, most capital is tied up in purchased land, offices and information technology assets like server farms. The company is determined to expand it’s position in that area, which will result in rising capital expenditures for both new offices and new IT assets. (1)

Liquidation Value / Tangible Book Value​

To calculate the Tangible Book Value I will use the most recent book value and exclude all assets I think are intangible. TBV calculation in $billion:

Book Value

-Goodwill

-Property and Equipment

-Other non-current assets

TBV

Note: I didn’t exclude smaller positions as it would make the formular unnecessarilly large with no real effect. It’s also quite reasonable as normally the Property and Equipment of Google of cause could be sold for at least a fraction of the audited value.

Google has a TBV per share of: $120998 million / 673.22 million shares = $179,73 per share

Cashflow Statement​

IT assets generally have a high turnover frequence which results in short depreciating periods (4-5 years). The replacement makes up a large portion of the $24.6 billion of capital expenditures, which are needed for the business operation.

Still Google has great liquidity through it’s short-term marketable securities and it’s large cash reserves.

With almost over $60 billion dollar of free cashflow, Google used most of it ($50 billion) to make stock repurchases. Still the company has only really started to do repurchases in the last 4-5 years and because of it’s high valuation the amount of shares outstanding has only decreased by 5% in 3 years, which is quite a disappointment (11). $15 billion were paid in stock compensation and to account for that we won’t add it back into the DCF-valuation even though it’s a non-cash expense.

Other​

Insider Trading / Ownership​

Insider Trading has no significance for Google as high management only sold insignificant portions of their ownership. (12)

The founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin still have small stakes in the company of around 3% each, even though they slowly continue to sell them off. There is also no insider with a significant stake in the company. (12)

Risks​

• Lower advertising spending by customers
  • Google’s value for it’s customers could decline
  • Competition disrupting the occupied markets

DCF Model​

Summary of the Assumptions made:
  • The revenue of Google Services will increase with the projected growth of the overall market of 11%-15%, which is conservative as parts like Youtube are growing at much higher rates
  • Google Cloud’s revenue has increased at an annual growth rate of over 40%. In a worst case scenario it will grow at a CAGR of 16% in line with it’s industry projection, but there is a real possibility of it to accelerate at the current rate until it has gained enough size. Our worst, base and best case projection will still stay conservative at 16%-24$
  • As COR is staying volatile around 45% of revenue we will assume it to stay at that level
  • R&D will rise around 10% every year unrelated to revenues
  • SGA (sales, general, administration) expenses will stay at the current level of 14% relative to revenues and won’t decrease any further
  • capital expenses have remained quite stable at around $24 billion dollars. We will still assume an increase of 10% per year as in the most recent 10-Q report the capex has risen by over 40%.
  • Depreciation rises at CapEx rate
  • 2021 is not an outlier
  • Share repurchases will range between 2-5% per year, as those are highly dependent on the share price
We will use a projection of the next 15 years to determine Google’s fair value in 3 scenarios at a discount rate of 8%

Worst Case
Base Case
Best Case

Google Ads CAGR
11%
13%
15%

Google Cloud CAGR
16%
20%
24%

COR
45% of total rev
“”
“”

R&D CAGR
10%
“”
“”

SGA
14% of total rev
“”
"”

CapEx and Depreciation
10%
“”
"”

Share repurchases
2%
3,5%
5%

Fair Value
$1690
$2518
$3805

I would consider te base case to be highly plausible as past growth has indicated much higher growth rates. Of course it’s up to you to choose your margin of safety, but I will consider to pick up some shares if Google falls below $2000.

Sources​

(1) https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1652044/000165204422000019/goog-20211231.htm

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleClick

(3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Mobility

(4) https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share#monthly-201407-202204

(5) https://techcrunch.com/2022/02/04/c...ared-to-178b-in-2021-growing-49b-in-one-year/

(6) https://www.statista.com/chart/1881...ading-cloud-infrastructure-service-providers/

(7) https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001652044/000165204418000007/goog10-kq42017.htm

(8) https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/e-commerce-market

(9) https://www.statista.com/outlook/dmo/ecommerce/worldwide

(10) https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/cloud-computing-market-234.html

(11) https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/GOOG/alphabet/shares-outstanding

(12) http://openinsider.com/screener?s=G...l=&v2h=&oc2l=&oc2h=&sortcol=0&cnt=1000&page=1

@bea1271 Very nice analysis, and thorough. Your calculated valuation is similar to mine. It doesn't seem to be a particularly controversial opinion right now, at least on Reddit, that Google is a good buy at these prices. One risk I would add, though, is anti-trust.

I would also say that Google's management seems to take a sort of 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks' approach to new projects. See here for example. It's very different than Apple's extremely planned, deliberate philosophy. This is not really bullish or bearish, just an observation from the outside--they try for moonshots, and are very willing let projects fail.

@annap16 I was surprised to see that Google Glass wasn’t on the list you linked. Apparently they’re still sticking with it. It’ll be interesting to see if/when it becomes a popular product.

@fangorn The last time I looked into it, they weren't targeting consumers at all... they were looking to get it in the hands of medical people, factory workers, and other people who could use a HUD as part of their job to look up information quickly.

I think they were a bit blindsided by the people freaking out about privacy concerns of having them in widespread use by the general public and went a different direction to perfect the technology.

@resjudicata The direction they're taking does make sense. Target more niche uses and if that is successful then it will be a stepping stone for more widespread adoption.

@annap16 This is the one biggest thing that drives me crazy about Google as a company. The amount of projects that they push out to the public that are "works in progress" that get cast aside or ignored six months later.

They're like the ADHD version of Apple.

@annap16 Their motto is 'succeed or fail fast'.

Imo, it often results in the killing of promising projects due to an unwillingness to iterate or be persistent.

@annap16 Anti trust is a very big concern, if not the most. Also compliancy (read: fines) could potentially impact revenue quite a bit. I know it's in the analysis but you can't really project that in my opinion.

@annap16 Internally, Google only rewards employees based on new projects and not growing or maintaining existing projects (look at the number of chat apps they have released smh). And, as your link points to, killed by Google has become a meme in the tech community. I think it's hurt their GCP adoption, leaving them a distant 3rd behind AWS and Azure.

Many decision makers I know (myself included) have avoided GCP b/c of concerns around becoming reliant on something that ends up in the killed by google list. Google is also known to be over-reliant on algorithms for customer service over people. These two big items together make it hard to use or recommend GCP, even when Googles engineering talent behind the scenes is top notch.

@jessaking Depends on who you ask:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/29/ana...n-off-youtube-would-be-worth-300-billion.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/06/26/why-antitrust-actions-against-alphabet-may-be-good/

Attempting to value YouTube on its own is certainly outside of my circle of competence, as it would depend very heavily on online media consumption trends in the future, which are very hard to predict.

It's worth pointing out that for probably the most famous Big Tech anti-trust case, that of Microsoft in 2001, the eventual decision didn't result in IE being split from Windows. It was only asked to share its APIs. Ironically, IE died anyway because the competition was better, and Microsoft languished for a decade, which may have had very little to do with the anti-trust hearing.

@annap16 Interesting ideas. Google's business is gathering user data and selling ads based on that data. YouTube helps on both of those fronts. I cannot see them benefitting from a divestiture, but am often wrong. To that Fool.com piece, I do not think Waymo is worth $30B, let alone the almost $200B people were ascribing to it. Also, analysts have had some awful takeover & spin-off ideas since I've been watching.

I still resent how the US Gov presented its case vs. Microsoft. The real anti-trust was in how they crowded out competitors for Office. The split should have been one company that makes the OS, another makes applications. David Boies's semi-recent news makes me dislike his performance suing Microsoft even more.

Other big tect anti-trust cases were AT&T and IBM. The AT&T case was arguably successful. IBM case got withdrawn. My grandpa was working at both companies when they finished their cases.

It is orders of magnitude easier to prevent acquisitions than to break companies up after the fact. I wonder who in government AT&T pissed off, and the back-story behind that litigation.

@bea1271
As Google Services and Google Cloud generate >99% of Google’s revenue I won’t go into much detail on the “Other Bets” Category.

I can appreciate this sentiment but I think this analysis isn't getting the whole picture by excluding Google's divisions that aren't currently contributing a large amount to Google's revenue but are growing much faster than the other lines of business. Particularly I would call out Deepmind and Waymo.

Deepmind is profitable, had revenue of over $1bn and is growing at 300% a year. They recently solved protein folding (a holy grail of computing) and their growth should continue.

Waymo recently raised at a $30 bn valuation and is the leader of autonomous vehicles, measured by the number of markets where they can legally operate with full autonomy.

@marizzapan Well Deepmind's biggest customer is Google, so I'm not sure if looking at Deepmind's numbers are the most accurate, but I agree with Waymo, and I think other bets like Verily may be able to turn a profit at some point.

@colinknox They made a near general algorithm using 1.2 billion parameter w/ 1 transformer. But ya. No big deal. Only solve the protein folding problem too. Probably not worth mentioning.