Getting robbed by Rogers...what should I do? (x-post from /r/Canada)

@mauddib You're not getting "robbed," but let's help you out here.
  • Your 78Mbps speed could be due to a number of things. Do all of your wireless devices support 802.11ac and all are getting only 78Mbps? Real world speeds of 802.11ac wireless devices are in the 70-100Mbps range and 802.11n is in the 40-50Mbps range, so it's completely reasonable if your wireless device is getting 78Mbps. You should test a wired connection to see if you're getting the full 100Mbps.
  • The TV VIP package gives you 300+ channels. The channels are listed on Rogers' site. Mind you that a lot of them are nearly the same (e.g., SportsNet, SportsNet Ontario, SportsNet East and SportsNet West = 4 channels but the content is 95% the same). Channels being offered in HD or not is up to the network, not Rogers. CNBC provides the content while Rogers provides the delivery to the home.
  • The $20 charge is the connection fee. That's always been there, though in my experience the (authorized dealer) retail channels often intentionally don't mention this to customers. The fee applies to any new wireless product, line and HUP and is usually always there except for the occasional promotional period. The $90 credit for trading in your old phone should appear on your account/invoice in 2-3 months (this is standard practice).
  • Management is correct in what they said about your situation. I don't see where you're being cheated, but the retail store rep definitely could've done more to explain the details to you. How did you spend 10 hours on the phone?
For what it's worth, retail store reps and contact centre reps are always fighting with each other. The call centre Rogers employees are the best help because they can do more to help customers and Rogers is tougher on these employees to ensure customer satisfaction. Retail reps will lie out of their asses to make a sale because their performance isn't being held to the same customer satisfaction standards as Rogers employees. Retail reps will say anything to redirect customers' complaints to the Rogers call centre and get that customer out of the store.

@mauddib I suggest going in person to one of their bigger locations. Ask for the manager. During the day. Unplug and bring all equipment etc and a written out hardcopy list of all problems at about 11:30am.

@mauddib Do more research first next time? Other than the tech issue with your router, there's not much there that you couldn't have solved by shopping around first or reading the channel lineup on the upsell...

I pay 85 bucks a month for blistering 15mbps, with a 200gb cap, so I kind of look at that as though you're complaining because your Ferrari is red and not blue.

@marko959 I did do my research. They offered me a package that was in my price range and offered the extra channel I wanted. What they didn't say was that my channel wasn't offered in HD, so I couldn't have known as it still wouldve shown up on the channel listing.

I wouldn't call this a ferrari...my router is in a room that doesn't have a computer in it, so it could have 10,000mbps and it wouldn't make a difference.

@mauddib Get a new router then. It sounds like issues with your location or the router if you're getting a connection in only one room.

If what I'm watching isn't hd, I just click "HD"; I don't know why anyone bothers with cable TV anymore...

@mauddib
.still need a range extender, bought two that won't work with the WPS

Don't work or not configured properly?

don't see any meaningful difference in channels

Read your contract properly next time

upgraded to a new phone and they charged me $20, later found out it was free to order online. I also traded in my old phone for $90 and still have not been reimbursed yet

Read and research your stuff before you go through with it. If you're indeed eligible for that 90$ I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you, call again and ask for it.

So for internet, maybe your extenders just aren't configured right. For your cable, you can't downgrade to what you asked for originally instead of cancelling?

For the phone, you should be able to get your money. Try calling for only the phone instead of calling for all three problems.

@robert0012 Range extenders don't work -- called both manufacturers (Dlink and Linksys). Also spoke to rogers tech support...has something to do with it being dual band modem/router.

For the internet they won't let me go back to the service I had, for the TV I can...will most likely do that.

For the phone -- I was told $90 would come eventually...because it was through the store they aren't giving it to me on my next bill (stores are independently owned). Just adding insult to injury for me being sour about the whole event...

@mauddib Isn't there a 10 day cooling off period for contracts made from home? Are you in Ontario? Also, if the service they offered you doesn't work then you don't have performance of a contract. If they can't provide you the service they promised/you paid for then you should be able to get out of the contract. Speak with their customer retentions team, and tell them you're putting them on notice that they're not performing their end of the contract.

@mauddib Go back to the Cisco 3825 you had before and have them "bridge" the modem which essentially turns the wifi off. Then go buy a decent AC dual band router. I personally suggest the Asus RT-AC66u. It's a one time purchase that will save you lots of headache. Better range and throughput. Then your wifi is in your hands and not theirs.

@mauddib Dual band as in 2.4 and 5 GHz? I've set up a range extender with a (non-Rogers) dual band router and it worked fine. I don't know about the Rogers modems but having a dual band router shouldn't preclude a range extender from working, you can even turn off the 2.4 or the 5GHz in your router if it's causing a problem (but it shouldn't). This is the extender I used:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1056_1058&item_id=079595

Rogers tech support won't support non-Rogers products (like a non-Rogers range extender) and is either going to give you no answer or give you a BS answer just to get you off the phone.

@mauddib I agree with what most of the other posters said, so I won't go over it again, I'm quite confused about the range extender issuer you have though. Why do you need to use WPS? You can just set it up manually and everything should work. The range extenders will likely only work on one type of wireless at a time ( A/B/G/N/whatever ), but they should work.

Anyways, good luck with everything else, hopefully you see the light and cut the cable eventually.