23 y/o F in Vancouver, I feel hopeless and lost

@vicsho77 Med students are basically pre-approved for a professional student line of credit up to $350k which should be enough to last through to the end of residency. In addition, UBC students are eligible for bursaries which typically contribute thousands each year. Yes, it’s an extremely expensive education, but lack of pre-existing funds should not prevent anyone who is admitted from completing their training.

@peachiekeen You’re not wrong but that’s IF you get into med school. For comparison law students are also approved up to about $100K LOC and some lawyers end up making nothing.

The question really becomes whether you can get residency after med school which is extremely competitive and whether you’re willing to stay in debt for close to a decade.

It’s important to take all things into consideration, especially since OP isn’t financially stable right now.

@vicsho77 95% of Canadian MD graduates get into Residency their first try, and most of those who don’t are trying for overly competitive specialties. I wouldn’t frame this as an unlikely scenario.

@kenneths Kid, listen up. In your current employment situation there is absolutely nothing you can do quickly, unless you either find a rich partner, win the lottery or hit it big on social media or something.

So here is what you can do, it's hard BUT worth it. Put your head down and work as fucking hard as you can to get to medical school, that is your absolute fucking ticket out!!!

I know, I was in your situation (minus parents in crippling debt), kid of immigrants, brought to canada at 19. So late in my life, didnt have any friends here on my day 1 of university. I'm going to tell you my story in hope that it can serve as some sort of encouragement or a path to follow as I'm older now and was where you're at one point.

I was stuck in a $40k/yr job in 2010 in Toronto, right after graduating. I had student debt and rent to my folks didn't have much of my pay cheque left. My parents werent in as bad of a crippling debt as yours but still could use the financial help. Also, I would end up gaining 60 lbs with in 4 yrs of graduating.

So, stuck in this job by 2011, I made it a goal for myself to go to business school (you seem smarter then me that's why you're going to medical school!).

And then, I just pushed myself at work and in my off time it was Gmat prep and job applications! And it was hard and not easy to even find the motivation to get going at times. Or I would fluctuate between either going through a period of pushing myself at work too much or pushing myself with job applications or gmat prep too much. And ended up not given enough attention to any and gaining weight coz by the time I got home every night, I would just wanted to eat fast food or chips or biscuit or snacks, just unhealthy stuff only. I still sometimes struggle with my diet, not gonna lie.

BUT eventually 4 yrs and 60lbs later, I was making abt 52k in the same job but because of my relentless applying, i managed to get another job with in the same company paying $65k. Mind you, I hated this job and I knew it even when applying. I was just so desperate by then that I just needed a quick win to prove to myself that I was going some where.

Yet, it didn't matter, I still worked my ass off and exceled at the job I hated and 1.5 yrs into this job, I got into one of Canada's best MBA programs coz I was still doing my Gmat prep. Getting the job also gave me the motivation to start working out again and I started getting back into shape!

And then while doing my MBA in 2016 got a job offer from the company I work for now and really wanted to work for. It was a job that was a net new role, the hiring manager told me they only have funding for abt 3 yrs, i have that much time to show success and the role can turn to me hiring a big team and getting promoted etc. Or if not and I fail, I'm on my ass looking for another job when the fund runs out.

I took a chance on myself and said fuck it, this is my chance at life! And fast forward to 2022 and I'm a director, managing a decent sized team and clearing 200k (I still work my ass off, at work and home).. HHI of over $300k, I'm married, (Also, make sure if you decide to find a life partner, they are equally driven and hard working), have a beautiful kid, own a home in the GTA and a rental condo!

I tell you my story, not to show off BUT to give you hope and encouragement that there can be light at the end of the tunnel And though you may not be the luckiest in terms of your situation right now BUT you're smart and have an amazing work ethic (you had 3 jobs at once!). You need to use your brains and work ethic to just push, push and fucking push no matter what anyone says or does around you. Also, know when your chance comes to bet on yourself! Have the confidence that if you give it your all, you'll succeed! And I promise in 10 yrs, you'll be giving some kid who is in your situation this same advice sitting in an even better position then I'm in right now!

Good luck and every morning you wake up, look at your self in the washroom mirror and say, I'm awesome and I'll crush life today!!!

Now go make us underdogs proud!

@seunkemikola +1, have a very similar story to this guy.

Once you realize in your 20s you still have 40 years to success/retirement, you gain perspective. 1 year slugging it out in a job you dont like but helps you to the next step is just a drop in the bucket. Make yourself a 5 year and 10 year plan. Stop thinking in days and start thinking in years and phases of life. Keeps you honest and on track. Too many people wander through life just floating in a sea of days. One day they get to 65 and wonder where it all went, they make excuses saying they were too busy to look at financial planning because of debt/work/having kids is hard. Thats just to make themselves feel better. Dont be like that. Make a good plan, plan for inflation and competitive forces, and execute. Hit the target, go to the next one.

@seunkemikola this is good advice OP, please listen to this person. i have one thing to add and i hope you see this: you’ve included a lot of identifying information so unless you obfuscated with misleading details intentionally, it’s pretty easy to narrow you down and if someone who knows ur family sees, they may tattle and put u in a difficult position. not saying it’ll happen, perhaps u took precaution already, but leaving it here just in case

@kenneths Why is living in a dorm your last resort? That's the reality of it if you're going to live in Vancouver and take home $2,800/month. Friend of mind lives in Kits, and rents a place with 3 others for $700/month while she went to UBC. That's just the reality of your situation.

@kenneths Doesn't make sense. You said one parent is in debt, but you're not close enough with them or willing to help out, then you say you gain comfort knowing the money you're sending to them is being used to pay off their debt.

Time to start using your head and not your heart. If you're paying that debt, that's the boat anchor attached to your legs. Cut it loose, because your engine (income) isn't strong enough to tow it.

You want to live in Vancouver, time to draw the line in the sand and come to the realities of your situation. I know your type, cause I'm an asian kid with immigrant parents myself. Want to immediately buy so that the money you're spending is turning into equity. Money should remain in the family. Renting is basically burning it. Want to go to med school. Prepare for the worst, and you'll never be disappointed. Let me ask you this, do you ACTUALLY want to become a doctor or someone who works in a capacity that requires med school?

@coreyd Money has no feelings, totally agree.

And the notion of buying a home so money turns into equity is false unless you pay the whole thing outright. Money is wasted in mortgage interest over the amortization period the same way money is wasted in rent. With the crazy buying prices, amortization period is only going become longer