@raybryant It was €1590 for me to insure an standard 10 Audi A4 2.0TDI 136hp back in March, that’s in my own name as an 18 year old with no driving experience to declare. I was hit by another driver 2 months ago who wrote off that Audi and their insurer paid out for it, and I purchased a nicer S-Line 141hp model but still a 10 Audi A4. My insurance came down to €1450 when I changed it over.
This is insured fully comprehensive with Axa, I was a named driver for 8 months on my mothers Octavia 1.6TDI which cost an additional €800 to add me (this wasn’t a full year of experience so I couldn’t use it as experience when taking out my own policy.
I live in a relatively low-risk area here in the Wicklow countryside. If I type in my friends eircode from 2 minutes down the road but just inside the Carlow border, the quotes are over €2k more for the same details lol
A friend of mine in the area on a 08 A4 got insured with Axa for €1900 the week he turned 17 and got his learner permit, insured under his own name.
What year and engine is the Octavia, and are you from a rural or urban area?

@jacktheman Ah I guess location plays a big part but i’m from kildare so rural enough lol. And it’s only a 2011 1.6 Tdi so nothing too crazy. Like my R6 is cheaper too insure than my car which make’s absolutely no sense for my age.

@raybryant Try your details on the Axa site, they have always been the cheapest insurer for people under 21 or so, in every case I’ve seen, for people insuring cars under 150hp in their own name
(Axa won’t insure a young driver in anything over 150hp it seems)

@jacktheman Supervalu insurance is a subsidiary of AXA, and I always found them to be a nice bit cheaper than AXA themselves. Even their website to get a quote is identical to Axas. Got insurance for my B8 A4 about 300 cheaper than what AXA were quoting, and AXA were a mice bit cheaper than any if the other competitors.

@christopher11 only having €3000 to your name at 19 isn’t bad plus you have a decent income (for a 19 y/o).

Unless you’re saving up for something in particular why don’t you use some of that 3k to buy a car and use your weekly income to pay your insurance? I really don’t see any need for a loan unless you wanted to build your credit rating with a bank or CU.

Granted insurance will be high but you’re going to have to pay it at some stage in your life and may as-well start earning your no claims bonus now. Plus you can always go under a family member’s insurance or get a box if moneys an issue.

You’d get a decent first car for €1500-€2000 and a lot of freedom that comes with having a car.

Imagine no more public transport!

Most people I know seem to regret leaving it later in life to start driving

@christopher11 Have you done your test? If you have, I'd definitely say yes. If you haven't, I'd get the lessons done and the test booked, then see how you're fixed financially and take it from there. Keep in mind cost of lessons, test, insurance, tax, NCT, fuel, service... It all adds up fucking fast and that's something I learned the hard way. Don't go buying a shitbox thinking it's cheaper, it actually works out the very same at the end of the day by the time you tax it and fill it

@christopher11 Insurance and tax will be astronomical regardless of the car you pick because of your age and your price range the cars would be older or already expensive to insure. Realistically you need 6k-10k to get a car and put it/keep it on the road.