Ripped off by Sky Ireland. What can I do?

@readerjoseph Just to add onto this - I haven't tried to cancel sky (yet) myself but I have cancelled two other providers in a move to different companies in the 2 years previous to being with Sky. I thought the new provider was handling the cancellation. Each time they didn't I ended up in months long fights with the old providers as they tried to bill me for services I could no longer access as I was with new companies! It was a nightmare! Just to yourself and others - watch out for it! The new company may tell you it's switched over but the old company may not have switched you off on their end...

@restoringthetruth Thanks! Certainly something to watch out for!

I got the confirmation email from Sky for the cancellation the next day I activated the new provider. Sky sent me a box to return the device and I did.
I definitely won’t let them take my payment and then try to call them for refund.

I kept all the emails and the chat history for proofs. If Sky accuses me of the service I didn’t use, or additional fees, happy to meet in court!

@restoringthetruth Generally, I have found no issues with changing provider of broadband, as they have a pretty solid process whereby the UAN number is transferred from one to the other. What caught me, though, was when signing up for my first Fibre to the Home connection, as that creates a new UAN, meaning that the new provider does not automatically cancel the connection you have with your old provider under the old UAN.

@bantry Yeah we already had fibre. The problem both times I think was this UAN number - the first time I didn't know anything about it and they didn't ask for it. The second time I had no option to give it to them and when I asked they couldn't later add it in for some reason so it was processed as a new connection. It was all very confusing, frustrating, time consuming and expensive! I'm just mentioning it here so others who may not be aware might save themselves time and hassle.

@soikeonhanh Same process trying to cancel TV subscription. On hold multiple times for 20+ minutes and even just hung up on or disconnected twice.

Had to just cancel the DD after months of them refusing to let us cancel.

Consumers need more protection from these practices from subscription providers.

@differentviews Had the same things years ago trying to cancel Sky broadband. I’ll never go near them again. I second the suggestion of the small claims route. It’s really straightforward and in my experience companies just sort you out quick once you put in that claim.

@differentviews I just wrote (snail mail) to them at their Dublin address notifying them of my desire to cancel. Got a phone call from Dublin (not their Scottish or wherever call centre) a few days later confirming my details. No waiting, no hard sell, service was cancelled and DD was stopped. All done in a 5 min call.

@soikeonhanh Ring the ccpc. I had something similar to this with Virgin Media before and was getting nowhere after a few calls so I rang ccpc and they were very helpful. I rang back virgin with a case number for ccpc and they sorted everything on that call.

@soikeonhanh From the perspective of a TV salesman. Sky Glass is the biggest waste of money you could hope for. The TV you get is the same spec as a TV you can buy outright for ~€500, but you end up spending around €2000 over 2 years just to have sky glass. Buy a good quality TV and get a dodgy box instead

@soikeonhanh Can't help with your situation just want to complain about them aswel. I'm canceling my TV contract, 2 hours in messenger chat with an advisor, 6 times I asked him to cancel my contract, 6 times he tried to steer me towards a new contract. On the 7th request he gave in, then couldn't cancel it due to some technical difficulties and I have been put through to another department which will resolve the issue in 3-5 working days.

@jnhermann I always use the excuse for cancelling that I am leaving the country. Close the account immediately. They have no reason to offer anything else.

@myia When I first contacted them I said that but I was too early to cancel and had to get back in contact and forgot to say that this time.