@trevayne Sell the Golf, keep your Mazda, your only using the golf 1 day a week! Buy something cheap to do that journey and use the Mazda more often!
I bought my 1.9 diesel Vw in 2018 from 300 euro, I'm still driving it and have put 150k miles on it trouble free!

@trevayne What about your insurance, having vintage insurance usually relays on you having a main car and the vintage is the toy, id personality buy one good car and sell both, 1 headache and thing to look after and maintaining, something like a mk1 focus rs which is also only going to hold or appreciate its value, I've had one of those and regret ever selling it

@lockexxv That’s the thing ideally I’d just insure the mx-5 as a daily and wear a big jacket as another user suggested but I found it hard to even get insured as a classic.

I fear a Mk1 Focus RS is already out of budget for me!
Last one I seen on Donedeal was €26k!

I was thinking if doing that but I fear I’d miss the Mazda and end up with something not as fun and even more expensive.
Cars I’d consider that’d be within budget are - 350z - 15k, 2k to insure, €1.8k to tax is a hard pill to swallow.

Dc5 Integra Type R - hard to get insured on but not impossible, probably another 2k, €700 to tax.

Altezza, as much as I hate the association, they’re a decent car. €710 to tax, €1k to insure, and I’d be able to pay back some of the loan.

E92 355i - expensive, I’d love an in-line 6 but just not prudent.

Mk7 Fiesta ST - good fun by all accounts, probably not as much fun though.
Same with Mk7 GTI or Focus ST of that era.

FN2 Civic same as above, but quite cheap to buy and insure.

@trevayne Downgrade the Golf and keep the MX5, especially if it's not costing you much with classic tax and insurance. They are so hard to find in good condition nowadays. Definitely don't sell it, you will regret it. I had to part with a classic mini a few years back for a more sensible car as couldn't I afford both. I still regret it.

How far is your weekly motorway commute?

Would you get a motorbike for the drive to work, and take the MX-5 when the weather is too poor?