@magdahla You can buy an brand new 2023 CBF 125 for 3.5 k and they'll go forever. I'd still go second hand all the same. Cheap insurance and runs on a sniff of petrol

@christopher11 If your budget for the car is €3000 make sure you have additional budget for insurance as that will be quite expensive if its your first time insuring a car. You'd be looking at 2 grand give or take depending on named driver experience, years of driving, address where the car is kept etc.

Take into account taxing the car too. Small hatches are around €200 give or take depending on age, model and engine size.

Then on top of all that the maintenance costs and running costs of the car. When you're buying one lookout for recently serviced , recently NCTed cars with lower mileage, new tyresetc. They'll be priced more but it could work out well. If you buy from a dealer you will more than likely get a warranty but it will be more expensive than buying privately but if the car has faults you can get it sorted with the dealer. But buying privately can also workout. This is easily a few hundred a month as well.

But to be honest its all worth it having the freedom to move around when you want and where you want. Just find what fits your budget.

@christopher11 I’d say keep getting the bus, save your money for the next year and enjoy college. Just think of the fun you could have with 100/200 quid extra every week.

Cars can be expensive and eat your money. It’s not just the loan every week, it’s insurance, nct, service, tyres, breaks and that’s before anything major goes wrong.

@christopher11 The earlier you get on the road the better. Are they expensive? Yes. Are they worth it? Absolutely.

I would suggest the following:
1. Getting your full licence first as it will significantly lower your insurance as a new driver, particularly at your age. If you could get either parent to put you on their policy as a named driver until you pass your test even better.
  1. When you get your own car, put someone with a long & clean driving history as a named person on your policy (doesn’t have to be a family member) it will reduce your insurance by a fair few hundred.
  2. Check insurance on EVERY car before you go to view or buy. Broker told me before that while some cars are known for being cheap to ensure as they’re “granny” cars, a 2013 could be a hell of a lot more to insurance than a 2008 even though it’s a 5 year new car - this is because if statistics show a 2013 had more road accidents than 2008 then it’s deemed higher risk to insure.
  3. Whether it’s a family loan or CU or savings pay it all outright for the first year.
  4. Check out the polos - they are amazing. Super cheap to run, insure & tax & they are amazing for first time drivers. Very easy to handle & get used to, they do a lot of mileage & never will give you a minutes trouble. I’ve had a few cars now including prestigious names like Audi & BMWs & I’d legit go for a polo over either of those if I had to chose in the morning.

@jamiemellien23 The car reg will automatically bring up the make & model & then they just have you confirm the various specs. When I started driving like 5 years ago I was quoted €6k on a 2013 polo & I got my 2008 for €2k with exactly the same details & not a huge amount of difference in the value of the car! It’s crazy the variation. The also told me I needed to get insured before as was 30 or I’d be classed as a geriatric basically. Apparently insurance companies are highly suspicious of FTD in their late 20s. Turns out a lot of drivers looking for first insurance at that age turn out to have all sorts of convictions from their younger years but after so many years they can be expunged & this insurance companies aren’t aware of the financial risks

@christopher11 Best option would be to borrow enough from your parents to buy a car, pay insurance and have some left over for any fixes that might be needed. If you live with them and make 400 a week then you'll pay them back in a few weeks.

If you are buing a car then consider the distance you'll be doing daily, if it's not a lot then a 1.0L petrol will do, if it's a long way then a diesel might be more economical.

Unfortunately the car prices have gone insane so it's not easy to find a good deal but that won't really change for better any time soon, might even get worse.#

Also having a car when you're in college and have no access to decent public transport will save you from a lot of stress and missed classes, that's something I know from experience.

@milan That's all well and good if the parents can afford and are willing to do that, I know when I was 19 my parents couldn't have lent me that kind of money

@christopher11 Usually I'd say go for it but you're making 400 quid weekly now. What happens if you took out a loan and you're back in college? How you paying it off then? You'd be in college so you'd likely be spending more on going out or events. You've to enjoy yourself a little..

Like you've to factor in insurance (a fortunate when you're young), tax, fuel, maintenance (300+ for a service alone if nothing's wrong with it), all that jazz. And if you still want a car, don't cheap out or you'll pay a fortune on repairs.

@christopher11 Buy a VW golf in either 1.4 petrol or 1.6 diesel, they’re statistically very cheap to insure for young/beginner drivers and they’re cheap to run and cheap to buy, also just a good car in general.
I’m an 18 year old 6th year driving a 2010 Audi A4 S-Line, I paid 6.5k for it from working summers/part time. It’s not too bad on diesel and my insurance is only €1450/year (works out at 145/month for 9 months after the first deposit) for fully comp with Axa, no driving experience declared. My insurance should go to about €1100 in March when I renew actually.

@jacktheman Give the details from OP this is terrible advice.

Firstly a small petrol car typically Japanese like a Toyota aygo is going to be far more reliable and cheaper to own/run/service then almost any VW.

Also most modern diesels especially are far more unreliable when routinely driven at slow speeds and short journeys most of the time as carbon builds up and causes issues for those with a DPF and in the case of the vw 1.6tdi is known to go through injections which is a very expensive issue.

And all this is from a mk7 golf owner.

@joey101 Realistically what 19 wants to drive an Aygo, most want the likes of an Audi, a Golf, a BMW, etc

A mk5 golf is generally cheaper to insure in petrol and they’re are generally cheaper to purchase instead of a diesel, although most young lads would prefer a 1.6tdi over a 1.4 thanks to the nicer drive and more power. assuming he got a diesel one and the dpf did give trouble, you’d get it gutted and mapped out, simple as, and no more issues with it, ever.

Yes, a small jap car might be more sensible, but let’s be realistic, he’s 19 surely he’d want something cooler even if it did cost a small bit more.

@joey101 I'd agree that the majority of people couldn't give a fuck what they're driving. But young lads under the age of 20 aren't typically seen driving an Auris or an Aygo or a Nissan Micra. Seeing people with sense in relation to the car they drive and not giving a fuck as long as its affordable is usually seen in people with a bit more life experience. My mate is 26 and drives a 1.2 Fiesta, another lad is 25 and drives a 1.4 Petrol Opel Meriva.
The lad who now drives a Fiesta used to drive a 1.9 Diesel Golf, and a 2.0 Diesel 1-series BMW when he was 17-22.

Personally I couldn't give a fuck. My first car was a Diesel Astra, and my current car is a 2010 B8 A4, and I only got it as I got a great deal through a mate of mine emigrating and needed a quick sale. Wouldn't recommend it for a first car, its big and drinks a nice bit of juice, but handy for myself doing tight miles up and down to Dublin twice or thrice a week.