blessed2day

I'm getting a 7 figure payment next month. I wanted to put it all into USD ETFs as per the Bogleheads philosophy. However, the exchange rate is so bad.

So my options are:
  1. Stick to plan. Convert lumpsum to USD; or
  2. Build a 12-mth FD ladder. Convert to USD upon maturity. In a way, this would average out the FX I experience over 12 mths.
I'm leaning towards 1, because this is the Bogleheads way. I should not time the market. If I go with 2, I'm obviously hoping that the FX rate will improve over the next 12 mths. If they worsen, I'll actually do worse with option 2.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Based on some insightful comments and useful links (1 and 2), I've decided to do the lumpsum approach because it wins most of the time. My timing could be sh*t and I could be losing here but odds are I'll be fine. Especially with my investment horizon of 10y plus. As put aptly by @mutambo, I'll not miss the forest for the trees. I'm not here to play FX, I'm investing in the underlying assets.

@blessed2day Whatever investment vehicle you opt for, just be sure NOT to tell strangers/friends/family (except your spouse). Silence is golden.

You don’t want to be receiving unsolicited calls for “investment opportunities”, or MLM meet-ups under the pretext of “catching up”. I’ve seen friends exploiting friends, brother turning on brother, or parent defrauding child, the moment a large sum of money is involved.

@blessed2day Btw I do have an investment opportunity for you that has proven to 6x your principal. Can pull out anytime and comes with personal driver you can use even during public holidays. If you're interested, can pm you the details. JK