I'll make RM2mil from selling my business, how do I achieve financial freedom?

@blessed2day Hi OP.

Well just sharing some thoughts as i am currently in a similar position. So, the difference is we (me and my spouse) got the inheritance already but alot less than yours. Even without it, we have reached good decent amount on our own (but not FIRE) with the 800k house loan paid off.

We are also on some similar route. One of us has already reach 1mil in EPF already, hence we really can rely on EPF like a bank account. Self contribution 100k and the continuous salary will help us grow this amount even faster. Then we are closely tracking our monthly expense to ensure can really FIRE as well. You continue to do that too.

So because inheritance is non guarantee, we have to temporary ignore that. In your case, you still need to divide your assets. You cant fully VWRA because at the end of day, we need to spend in RM. So what we do is we continue to grow EPF savings as mentioned above and still buying VWRA. Just sharing what we are doing.

I think alot of ppl are dissing about why you think 2mil cant FIRE but with proper planning, not that bad. Using 4%, the interest is 80k per annum or 6.7k a month. It's probably a jump of lifestyle downward but like you say, your expenses are mainly for convenience due to one simple fact, time is important to you because you are working now.

Of course I assume you no debt. 350k is nett asset. This probably better off then alot of ppl. But having say that, 2mil is still abit too close for comfort. 6.7k is a big jump from your expense. You also dont want to FIRE and need to think 10,000 time to buy an ipad. If one of the spouse still working then it would be a better buffer or grow your savings to 3mil 4mil first, do the calculation then can peacefully FIRE. Also, after you achieve the $, dont forget the social aspect of things.

You still need to fill your time meaningfully. FIRE does not mean dont work. FIRE should mean that, when you work, is not because you NEED the money.

@blessed2day EPF is the safest choice. The way I see it you don't need to take any risk simply because you are way ahead of most people.

Even if you spend every single cent today also no diff because you say you are going to inherit RM 20m in 20 years time lol.

Like what is the point of this post?

@ineedadvice101 It's really a self-esteem thing. I'm hoping not to rely on that RM20m as best as I can since it's not 'my money'. The RM2m on the other hand is money I made myself, and I hope to say that I can just use that to stand on my own. My hope is that the RM20m can just pass on to my kids.

@blurredcontours I don’t know what his situation is but chalking it down to labels like rich kid and daddy’s money is pathetic.

Maybe he had partners. Maybe he was an investor. Maybe he bought the business. Maybe he’s a terrible business person and just got lucky.

@blessed2day There's no need to brag/mention about the 20million if it's not considered part of the FIRE strategy. Obviously anyone can retire today knowing 20million is coming one day.

Answer: i would put a portion of the 2 million in fixed deposit, and a portion in ETF of mutual fund. Keep working until children are in college, live only off your salary, and take more aggressive stratergy with savings from salary.

@pablob Yea, I thought about omitting the inheritance part but I needed to mention it to explain the rationale for preferring the riskier option A over B.

Yes, most likely going to keep working. As pointed out by others, the inheritance amount is never guaranteed. And as you said, be agressive with savings since I'd have active income supplemented by passive.

@blessed2day 2 million ringgit ain't much to survive on these days especially when you're only in your early 30s with dependents.

The inheritance thing is 20 years away from now, anything can happen between then and now, it probably should not factor into your immediate to mid term plans.

I would say put some into a fixed deposit and some into EPF, then find a job or build a new business to generate active income. Truly what you have now in total is not enough to retire on in your early 30s. Because if you do plan to live off what you have, by the time those inheritance properties role into your life, you will be left with nothing to maintain them and will be forced to sell at a premature price.