Really need guidance: Do I choose the super cheap apartment or the comfortable one?

berighteous

I have an option between 2 apartments to apply for & sign a lease by May 15:

A: 1 bed 1 bath for $550 mo OR
B: 1 bed 1 bath for $725/ mo with washer & dryer in the unit & a small private yard attached

I was hoping to travel this year so apartment A would be perfect with rent so low. I got some camping gear & am looking to road-trip to a few national parks.

I have a car note of $100/mo which I could pay off by the lease ending. My bills added up to maybe $900/mo or less on option A.

But I’m terrified if the place has bug infestation issues as I’ve heard with most cheap apartments. There are barely any reviews on the place but all that are left seem pretty positive with only mentions that the unit is just bare minimum (window AC, no dishwasher).

Apartment B has conveniences like washer & dryer, & better location. I really love the idea of the small private yard to bbq & maybe plant. It’s also loft style, which admittedly I’m a sucker for.

I’m subleasing my current apartment which is 2b/2b with washer & dryer for $850/mo because rent is going up $100 & since going back to school I quit my old job which could afford it.

I only have a short time to choose. My lease ends on the 15th of this month & I’m so terrified to make the wrong choice.

I’m a full time college student & work about 8 hours a week on Doordash.

I make a consistent passive side income of $600/mo. Monthly income can range from $600 at bare minimum to $2600 (if I put in extra work on Doordash), but with school & easy burnout from ADHD I rarely work to maximize my income & bring home maybe $1600-$1800 consistently. I also don’t want to kill my car with driving so many miles if it’s not necessary.

I tried posting on other subs, but I didn’t receive much advice so I’m adding more info & hopefully I can get some help with picking the best option!

Thanks!

UPDATE:
I applied for option B! Thanks so much for the help. Waiting for approval now.

@vinod367 I think this is something to weigh. Laundromats are a time suck and if they’re decent enough machines, it’d be something to consider. Nothing like coming home and being able to do laundry in your own place.

@mazzaroth Seriously, laundry is $7.50 a load for me and more for the machine that will fit your bedsheets.

$725 will be a struggle, but on $1600 a month thats better then most people. I'd check the distance to places, accessibility by bus if car breaks, and other stuff but I'd also be very tempted by $725 place even if either is kinda smarter.

@berighteous Look at the amenities of the area and proximity to school not just the apartment.

Minimizing time and effort in car is always a plus. All those trips to grocery stores, school, etc. Add up.

And even if that means being in the more expensive apartment, it may mean a barely better quality of life, savings on gas, and extra time to use however you want. Plus reduced stress and overall increased happiness.

@berighteous Are the perks of Apt B worth about $100 per month to you?

I currently use a laundry mat. It can cost me $75/month and 3 hours to do all of my laundry. If you look at it that way, the amount you're saving with Apt A might not be worth it.

I'd personally pick Apt B because I highly value my current patio yard and location. In unit laundry is a big deal. So is AC. Plus I've had to move out of cheap apartments due to maintenance issues several times.

My mid/average 1 bedroom apartment in college was $725 and that was over a decade ago. I easily afforded that waiting tables part time. 10 years ago.

I'm a very big supporter of reducing living expenses, but you're living on the cheap end with either of these options. Being in a home you enjoy will also likely increase your capacity and help prevent burnout, which might make your earning potential more stable.

If Apt B increases your happiness, go for it. Can you still afford to travel with Apt B? Or would putting that $100 per month to an extra weekend of camping be a more worthwhile investment to you? What else can you do to reduce any stress and keep your income consistent?

It sounds like you're already paying more currently than either of these options. Even if you go with Apt B, it sounds like you'll be able to save $500/month if you work consistently. Also be sure you are fully utilizing any benefit programs that may be available for you, especially since you are technically low-income. In my state, you'd qualify for financial aid, food stamps, reduced bills, and potentially rent assistance based on the income numbers you gave us.

@berighteous you can place a dollar value on the time it takes, and what it actually costs you to go out and do laundry. for me, recovering the time it takes to go out and screw around doing laundry is well worth it. i generally cook most of my meals for the week and do laundry at the same time.

@berighteous Given that your income is only a consistent $600, take the one you can afford on that alone.

I'd say otherwise if your income was higher. It's too much of a gamble to take up residence in a more costly option given that important information.