People who fly business class, why and how much do you earn??

@bibleteaching Very similar boat.

Maybe splash out for business for a long haul (10+hr) flight, but eco does just fine. Premium maybe if youre going over 6hrs. Some staff travel interline agreements allow booking in various classes.

I recently took a train from Perth to Kalgoorlie and back. 8 hours by train, 45-65 mins by plane.

After 2 hours on the train i highly regretted not flying. Even just in economy

@roberto0562 Most business class is people who fly often having their business pay for it via a package (not the prices you see, rather, negotiated via a large volume of flying arranged at a company level) or people who fly often being upgraded for free/ cheap.

The price you see is more intended to add a level of perceived value / status to flying business, it’s far from the actual average amount paid by the people sitting there.

@matthew01
The price you see is more intended to add a level of perceived value / status to flying business, it’s far from the actual average amount paid by the people sitting there.

Not that far off from my experiences.

A company I worked for (who absolutely had negotiated volume rates and extra perks with an airline) were still paying in the ballpark of $7000-10000 return to Europe pre-covid.

Or potentially you’re referring more to domestic travel.

@christy_aldridge Same - all business class tickets went through my corporate card and they were the same prices as I could get (maybe a few hundred cheaper )

This was the same for 20 years with a multitude of travel policies over a couple of companies (I was only occasional though - not one of those monthly to Europe or US people )

@roberto0562 I have never flown business, but I am considering it for my next trip to Europe to visit my partners family. Last time I went I was super uncomfortable and still get knee pains, im also a nervous flyer, so I never sleep. Although it does depend on how much it will cost

@roberto0562 I’ve paid for business a number of times. South America, Europe, Middle-East. It is extravagant, but I dread long haul flights in economy. When you can lie down, I actually look forward to my time in the plane.

It is extravagant, and by far the most luxury I indulge in, but with high income, no kids, no debt - I splurge.

@roberto0562 Predominantly using points - Perth to Melbourne in a lie flat is much nicer than economy.

I would also pay 2- 3 x an economy ticket for business if I was flying to Europe. The reduced stress pays for itself.

@roberto0562 The people who don’t do it for work or from points are just one step up on the hedonic treadmill than you. My mum is one of them, although now it’s at the point where she’s doing Melbourne to London in First Class.

It’s her money, I’m happy for her, but it’s definitely a lesson to make sure you’re away of lifestyle inflation.

@roberto0562 Many people who fly business are also airline staff or their friends, who get a fat discount. (Really, sometimes more than half the cabin paid 90% less for the seat)