People who fly business class, why and how much do you earn??

@roberto0562 I always fly business for work unless my schedule at either end is super chill.

My work schedule on travel days is usually extremely hectic and I find that business class makes that all a little bit more manageable.

Can usually get through security quicker, so if my last meeting runs late, I can still make my flight even when flying at peak hours.

Generally nicer, less crowded airport lounges with better facilities.

Can stroll onto the plane just before they close the doors with guaranteed overhead carry-on space. Lets me work right up to the last minute in the lounge.

Usually get a decent meal on the flight, which might be the only thing I have eaten or will eat for 8+ hours on hectic days.

Plenty of room to work off a laptop from my seat if the flight has wifi. Less chance of sitting next to seedy bogans or noisy kids.

On international flights to Europe for work I usually use my own points or pay out of pocket to upgrade to first. Having a shitty flight at either end really messes with your ability to function, particularly when you’re only on a short trip. But generally business class is fine for the shorter international trips, eg Sydney to Singapore.

@roberto0562 Business is paying for it.

Rarely it’s not too much more expensive than economy, always worth checking.

It’s hard to say if it’s worthwhile. Depends on the airline , flighty length, crew etc. I would say when the price dips it seems like good value to me, you can get some sleep on a long trip.

@roberto0562 My parents have recently retired and travel overseas once or twice a year. They always fly business now because they are old, it's more comfortable and they can afford it (they're worth like 10m).

I'm 35 and I've flown international business a few times. Work paid for it or I paid for it because i was landing Sunday night and had to fly out for work Monday morning. I was on like 200k as a fifo worker and not exactly smart with my money at that time.

@roberto0562 On pension but go without something’s and save as much as possible because family live on the other side of the world. Last trip was economy and it made me realise why I prefer business class

@roberto0562 I’ve flown business on points, earlier this year travelling with my infant daughter from ADL to SYD. It was nice to have the extra space with the baby.

Otherwise, a handful of times with my grandparents as a small kid. Much the same reasoning as others, old bodies needed the comfort.

I would consider it for long haul (transpacific or similar) but not pay out of pocket for it domestically.

@roberto0562 Why do I earn a lot of money? The money is incidental. I like building things.

How much do I earn? AVG. ~10m pa last two years.

And I'm 6'5. I'll never travel economy again in my life. Heck. I'm starting to fly private.

@lincolncreek “i like building things”

lot of people like building things

you just happen to choose something to build that:
  • you enjoy
  • youre good at
  • that other people will pay you for
i doubt you would start building things that other people wouldnt pay you for

so i disagree about the incidental money

@roberto0562 I’ve got a friend who makes 20% of what I make and flies business often. No idea why - he is skinny and definitely fits in the economy seat I never flown business - what a waste of money.

@resjudicata I mean I’m quite tall so I’m often a bit uncomfortable on planes, I normally just deal with by leaning on the window and taking sleeping pills so I just sleep to pass the time.

If it’s a domestic flight then I’m just gonna watch a few TV shows and it’s over, the longest domestic flight is 5 hours tops so it’s not that long.

@roberto0562 I’ve got a mate who is tall and big, he just won’t fit into economy so it makes sense for him to fly business plus he is single on a good income. But that’s not usual