Need Help !! 18 months of SIP Investment and profit only 1%

yakamoz

Hi Folks,

I have found Reddit and this sub recently. Hope you guys can help me out. I don't know if we are not supposed to share values of investment but I have written down the amount I have invested.

To give you guys some background I am 25 years of age. I passed out from college in Mar 2017 and started working in a soul sucking corporate job. I started with ELSS funds and later on started with more SIP's across funds. I tried investing in funds with good returns, a low expense ratio and a mix of balanced, aggressive and conservative funds. But even after the recent market rally my profits are at 1%. This is discouraging me and pushing me towards debt funds, FD's, gold etc. Please take a look at my portfolio in the following table and suggest any changes

All Mutual funds are direct plans - Growth plans unless otherwise specified

Fund Name
Cost Value
Market Value
Remarks

Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund
ELSS-SIP - Regular Plan

SBI Bluechip Mutual Fund
SIP

L&T Infrastructure Mutual Fund
SIP

DSP Tax Saver Mutual Fund
ELSS - SIP - Regular Plan Discontinued after 6 months

HDFC Mid Cap Opportunities Fund
SIP

Axis Long term equity fund
ELSS- Lump sum

Mirae Asset great Consumer Fund
SIP

Reliance Tax Saver Fund
ELSS- SIP - Regular Plan Discontinued after one year

Franklin India Tax Shield
ELSS-SIP - Regular Plan

Total
0.98% return

My Objective towards mutual fund is to generate a retirement corpus at 50 years of age. I am switching my jobs and will have more money to invest in the next 2 months. So I just wanted some advise on what changes should I do

@yakamoz Looks like you're heavily tilted towards equity. Don't expect large gains in one year, especially this last year. Even I've just started breaking even on my equity investments from eight months back. Equity will give you the best returns in the long term, so don't exit it completely based on short term performance.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with putting money in debt funds or FDs, especially if you just want to park some money there for a few months up to a year. I personally don't prefer gold, but that's your choice.