What am I doing wrong?

@duffy44 So what amount would you quantify as substantive?and are you planning to FIRE in the US? Or coming back to India for retirement?

Based on the information you've given:

A. Your savings rate currently is roughly 25% of your salary, considering you don't pay for rent or food you can try improving.

B. If you want to have better returns on your portfolio you will have to expand more on Small or Midcap MFs which come with higher risks.

C. In my experience, if you're not in Tech or in business the RE part of your goal is difficult to achieve especially if you're going to immigrate to the US and start from zero at 32, it only gives you only 13 years of earnings. Not trying to deprecate your dream, just setting realistic expectations.

@duffy44 The goals you have picked are wrong. You can't do study abroad and FI both with this salary. Prioritize one.
  1. If you want to study abroad, do it NOW. Keep in mind you have to take loan (assuming your parents can't sponsor you), and its not guaranteed you will get a job (especially in US). Though you will have 3 year visa to payback loan still if you are from STEM field. If you want to do it later, invest in funds like Liquid, Short term bonds i.e., stay away from any kind of equity. 3 years is too small a time frame for equity exposure.
  2. If you are dropping 1st one and focusing on goal 2, go aggressive (in fact all in) in equities and used EPF and PPF for your debt part of portfolio. Equity funds seems alright, just keep liquid fund as your emergency corpus (6-12 months of expenses). You will be better off focusing your time and effort in increasing your salary.
Hope this helps.