Inward Remittance from Foreign Employer

@resjudicata for selling the stocks its not needed. if you sell a service/product, FIRC is required to prove that you received income from abroad and not within india. this is needed if you want to take advantage of gst benefits.

@iwillwalkinfaith For same purpose I was in SBI and the concerned lady told me FIRC would be given once in a year. I can refer to my statements that will have money received, charges, converted amount in INR.

My CA said he need FIRC for each transaction. Seems SBI is not suitable in this case.

@tonya41 Good for parking money. But conversion rates will still apply if you want to transfer in any Indian bank account right (even ICICI itself)? which you'll eventually need to do. Also I assume the account does not give any interest on parked amount, so parking for long time might give some benefit if you are lucky and currency rates change in your favour, but you lose interest and otherwise opportunity to invest and grow that money. Or did I misunderstand this?

@trispy Yes conversation rate apply and below market level. I am in the same situation as you but my payment are once every month so I don't mind the conversion difference.
No there is no interest on the money parked. The worst part about this is that we cannot do online transfer. Any transfer from this account to your SB account has to be via a manual signed form.

@tonya41
I am in the same situation as you

I am not receiving any remittance. I am just a curious person here trying to improve my financial literacy :)

The worst part about this is that we cannot do online transfer. Any transfer from this account to your SB account has to be via a manual signed form.

Thats too bad.

@lucianne I can't help with your issue, but FWIW, transferwise is great. What is your employer's issue with transferwise?

Also

I am planning to open a current account (as the income is more than 20 L p.a.)

This is new to me. Why do you need a current account if your income is more than 20L pa?

@healmyheart No one. ICICI cannot provide because it received the funds in INR. TW cannot provide because it is not a bank. They suggest discussing directly with their partner bank (HDFC/YES) depending on which bank you received the INR from, but I have gone to and fro with both of them for 1 year but none of them issued an FIRC.

@coillteglas Both of them issued a letter certifying that no currency conversion took place and they they sent the INR to my account from TW's account with them. They said that this was all they could give me and not an FIRC.

@amcm93 If the GST officer flags your account and asks for proof, an FIRC is the only valid document to prove that funds arrived in a foreign currency which is required to claim 0% GST after filing LUT. In cases where you can’t prove this, all your earnings will attract 18% GST plus interest.