meganhelms

I recently got 2 job offers but I’m not sure which one is better.

My background: 24(M), 1.5 years experience in the banking industry.

Offer 1: KYC analyst (crypto industry) - RM4800 basic + RM1200 fixed allowance (transport and shift allowance), 1-2 months bonus, working hours 11pm - 7am. Company just started operations in Malaysia, HQ is in Hong Kong.

Offer 2: Retail store management trainee (clothing industry) - RM 4300 basic, transport and accommodation claims, 2 bonuses a year, guaranteed promotion after probation and high increment every year (RM500-RM800). Company may send me to different states every 6 months for cultural exposure.

I’m in a dilemma because I think I’ll perform well in both industries but I don’t really feel like working midnight shifts. However, the RM1.2k difference may be too good to pass up.

PS: Thanks for reading my post, I appreciate all of your opinions and feedbacks.

@jmaingi Graveyard shift since MCO started. Direct. Night.

15 days work and 15 days off.

And from 16 people to 3 people only. Im the only one OG crew since started.

My mental health never been better. Plus extra allowance ~MYR700 🙂↕️🙂↔️

@inuall How old are you sir? You might not feel it now, but you are wrecking your body. You are not biologically spawned to stay awake and be active at night. Complications will come as you age.

Source: I worked graveyard shifts earlier in my career (now 40).

@jmaingi I know a couple of 50+ years old graveyard worker (one is 59 retiring next year) and they’re all healthy. They’ll sleep for a bit during the morning after coming home, go out to play tennis after noon. Then another sleep session in the evening. I think I can safely call them healthy watching them play tennis without any complications.

I personally think (no factual evidence) that it’s more about how you can adapt.

@jmaingi So what if you moved to another country suddenly that had about 8-12 hours time difference? Would you body still ask you to sleep at Malysian night time?

YOU have no idea what you are talking about. The issues you mentioned are more psychological than physical.

@winnielt Lol you move to another country your body adapts to their day and night cycle. And yes, initially your body will want to sleep according to Malaysia's time. That's what jet lag is.

Or do you think move to another country, the sun still follow Malaysia time isit? 🤣

@hafu14 Exactly! That's the point I'm making. Just bcoz you work 11pm to 7am daily alone, doesn't cause you health issues. Your body adapts accordingly.

But the problem is most people see daylight & continue doing things without considering their rest & sleep, and this is what causes health issues.

@winnielt Uh it's widely known graveyard/night shift work carries higher risk to physical and mental health, regardless whether you have enough sleep.

It's going against the day night cycle that could potentially cause issues. Not saying it would immediately be detrimental, even in short term, but long term would definitely be detrimental.