Would you leave your RM10+k job in KL for a $5.5k job in SG?

@antiteck No thanks. Not going to comment on the whether 10k MYR vs 5.5k SGD's practical value which most other comments have covered - but think about this:

In Malaysia, earning 10k makes you at least a senior to assistant manager level of employee (or even manager, depending on your company). In SG, fresh grads already earn 3-4k SGD. 5.5k is really a mid-level at best. I would want to be considered the same job level (or higher) when I make a job movement.

I am not going to short change myself to take a mid-level job and not having a significant enough increase in salary to justify:
  • hassle of relocating
  • getting used to a new working culture
  • more fast paced and arguably more kiasu environment
  • away from family (travel cost back to home is also another thing)
IMO 8k SGD is the minimum I would consider if I am earning RM10k.

@antiteck Too many cases of malaysian poached with lower tier salary compared to similar qualification / experience level as their locals ended up feeling discriminated and used as cheap labour

@antiteck If I have no kids, I'd do it.

Considered the fact early on in my career. If you're good in what you do, you have the same opportunity for career advancement in Singapore, in fact, slightly better as you'll be exposed to more MNCs + international businesses.

However, if you have a chance to build a business in Malaysia, don't take the offer. In Singapore, you'll basically makan gaji the rest of your life because your support network there won't be as strong as it is in Malaysia. But if you're going to makan gaji for the rest of your life, makan gaji in a stronger currency please.

1 last thing, don't accept an offer for a local Sg company, but do consider seriously any offer from a MNC based in Singapore as opportunities for travel and advancement are better.

@antiteck For 5.5, nah. While it's like 2x your current salary, it's dollar-to-dollar unless you are willing to commute several hours to and from Johor assuming you rent a room or house/ condo. Lots of time wasted and eventually that'll take a toll on your mental being with little personal time before hitting the sack, just to save those extra bucks.

Like you mentioned, things in Singapore are (increasingly) expensive and it's best you nego for some relocation package or higher salary. It's quickly becoming the next Hong Kong with lots of expats moving there.

@antiteck Please do not take the currency exchange rate as a standard. It was never a standard to make you feel like you gonna make more money. This is a huge Downgrade to you while you can make 10k+ in Malaysia. If you really wanna challenge yourself, your paid range in Singapore should around 8k~10k. You need to check the paid range in each country for you role instead of just taking currency exchange rates as a standard. I explained this many time to my parents for times but still they treat me like a failure because I refuse to go Singapore but to take care of them, and I making 8k monthly in Malaysia. Beside insurance, car loan, daily expenses I still save 1/3 of money.

@antiteck I understand where you're coming from.. The 5.5k doesn't seem worth while.. Maybe you can try to nego? 7k would seem more reasonable as you would need to relocate.

But 5.5k, living in SG.. Probably you can save 2k a month if you budget yourself