@jyne I would like to know OP's reasoning on going for accounting too. IT is extremely vast and their skillset could shine at different sector ranging from software development, cybersecurity, to data analyst.

@jyne First of all thanks for the reply and the advice. Secondly , for me personally I find it very hard to understand programming. I do know how to program basic stuff. But it just like I need to put in 10 times more effort.

With accounting , I learn on the job and even I read some text books. I feel like I get it faster and easier to understand. For IT it's ABIT hard for me.

Also you did say you are doing at OUM right . I did saw the course. And may I ask is it fully online? Final exams etc. or maybe the whole semester you need to at least take 1 or 2 face to face classes?

Like because I am currently working. And OUM there's one in my state but it's like literally far end. Lol. It's really not convenient.

So my question is if it's 100% start to finish fully online. And when you finish and pass everything . They just sent you the cert? Also what about internship. Sorry if I am questioning alot. Cause I am still figuring out all these stuff.

@authenticity I see. I can understand that programming, or IT in general, is definitely not for everyone. I have classmates (from diploma) who changed their study field from CS to English communication, business, etc. And most of them excel in what they're doing. One of them was good at programming, but she had to work 10 times harder than everybody else to be decent. If you find learning accounting is seamless and have passion for it, then it's good.

All OUM degree programmes are part-time. So far, all my classes are 100% online(I even skipped about 75% of the classes this semester because I'm busy with work lmao). But I remembered reading somewhere that there will be face-to-face classes for subjects like English, Third Language, or some sort. But those most probably will be done on weekends. Almost all OUM students are full-time workers, so they will accommodate with consideration for full-time workers.

I couldn't answer your last few questions since I'm still studying. For my course, there will be an internship. I wouldn't say 100% fully online. There would be instances where you have to come to campus(taking student card, cert, enquiries, etc). But SO FAR, for me, memang 100% online.

Sorry if I am questioning alot. Cause I am still figuring out all these stuff.

Tbh, me too hahahaha.

@authenticity
  1. Ask yourself if you still like to be in IT or you found your career path in accounting. If it is the former, you should consider changing lane to the IT sector asap.
  2. If latter, I do think there’s value in pursuing an accounting degree. For sure, it will be a prerequisite for career advancement generally speaking in this sector.
  3. I would avoid online degree. They require high motivation to stay the course. I would opt for either part time course where it allows you to still work and complete this albeit a longer timeframe. F2F is the way to go. Interaction and building networks are the main reason why people pursue their degrees. Not just the paper.
  4. Another option is to consider an advance diploma in accounting which may grant you credits when you pursue your degree later.
  5. I am not sure about the company you work for, whether they have HR policies in providing professional development for staff. I’ll also consider talking to your supervisor to see if they have such options, such as partially or fully paying for your course as part of your up-keeping of your accounting competencies . Companies can claim this a tax deductible expenses, so they may not mind. If they value you, that options may be open to you. The key is you have to ask for it. The worse that can happen is you didn’t get it, which is your situation now. However, how you brooch the subject is important. You don’t want to appear as overly ambitious or confident in your request.
  6. I don’t think your Dip in CS is irrelevant. If nothing else, if indeed there is an IT opening in your current employment, it will come in handy. And everyone needs to start somewhere, you just need to move forward and embrace the change if you so longed .
  7. As for salary, just find out what is the average benchmark. Information is there for you to find out. If you’re early in your career, don’t worry about chasing the money. If you do the right thing, the money will come. Focus on being a value add to your organisation and the team you work with.

@jtlembke Thank you very much. But I already make up my mine. I will not go back to Iine. I already decided to fully go into accounts.

And currently working in an SME. I will give it a shot and ask but from the attitude not the people here. I have not much hope. Since they are very very frugal. If you know what I mean.

And your advice is very useful thank you so much. And thanks for replying.

@authenticity Hi OP~

As a second option you can consider UNITAR. I'm taking accounting degree there and the whole journey would be around 3.5 years. It's fully online except for exams. :D

@authenticity I said it's online though?

Classes are 8-10pm weekdays but not compulsory and you can refer to recordings. The grade is typically 50% from assignments and 50% from final exam which you'll have to physically sit for. They have a branch in Johor.

I do think if you can self-study, you can consider going straight to ACCA. I didn't like it so opted for degree instead.

@authenticity Actually experience in accounting with IT background helps. For example, setting up GL postings, IFRS17, automate reporting, etc. however, you will need a degree to go higher. You may opt for MBA after few years of working experience

@authenticity I see you've posted again after your post was removed in r/malaysia, nothing much more to offer from me other than good luck.

One last piece of advice after reading some of your replies here, don't worry too much about what you feel other people are like, whether it's on an online forum or at work. Instead focus on what good/important points you can take from them and move on.

Makes your life easier and less stressful.

@authenticity Part- time online degree: INTI, Open University. I’m sure there’s plenty others that do offer this program.

Also, once you have enough working experience (check online), you can bypass degree and go straight to masters. This is what my cousin did. Check APEL certification for more details.

@authenticity Don't do ACC plz don't. It's shit and not worth it. Soul sucking and even if u made it, u lost Ur soul. ACCA also not ez. Better do IT, similar no need degree just get professional certs which in the IT world mean more than Ur useless trash degree from any of our local U.