A/C went out - how to keep cool & what is the beat value?

bcrich

My husband’s central A/C unit went out last night. It had been limping along for the past 3 years.

I cannot afford to have it professionally looked and or fixed, let alone replaced. I am pretty sure he won’t want to spend his money on anything worth while.

I have three kids in the house, and even at the coolest point last night with an outside temp of 63°F, the house never got below 78°F. It’s currently 85°F inside and climbing.

This is obviously survivable, so I’m not whining that I’m bothered by a little sweat. There are no health conditions that make the heat an emergency. However, my food is going to spoil quickly! And my refrigerator will be working overtime to keep cool.

Are portable units worth their money? I can get a 6,500BTU for $299, but the reviews are mixed and I’ve never seen nor owned a portable A/C unit. Are there any other cost effective ways to preserve my fresh food? Any long term solutions anyone else has came up with for living with no A/C?

@bcrich We used two window units in our 1200 sf house before we installed central AC. 5,000 BTU, can get them for around $150 each. But then you have to mount them, which can be an effort. Especially the first time. They didn't keep the house COLD, but it was tolerable. Couple that with running the central furnace fan on and it will do the job.

Cooling the house overnight really helps, too. All windows and doors open (or, at least everything with a screen). A fan or two in windows pushing cooler air in and one or two blowing warmer air out. Preferably opposite sides of the house. We normally like to sleep with doors closed, but sometimes you have to sacrifice for cooling. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer. Once the outside temp is the same as the house temp, I shut the house up and pull the blinds.

@bcrich In the morning, close all windows, and curtains facing south and west. Evening when outside temperature is below inside, open all windows, have a fan on open windows.

If you can, aluminum foil on windows facing south and west.

@bcrich Just FYI that doesn't mean you don't own part of it if you're legally married. So if things ever fall through, ask for your portion of the house since you got married.

So, if he bought a 100,000 house and out 10,000 down, he owed 90,000. If he paid off another 10,000 before you got married, he owed 80,000. Let's say the value stayed the same that whole time, so when you got married, he had paid off 10% of the house. Upon divorce, he owes you half of any additional equity. So if you pay off another 30k, you own 30% of the house together. Sof if it were to double in value, you'd share 60k in equity, and he would owe you 30k.

This is all rough math, but you should be aware.

@resjudicata For sure. But I’m struggling to afford a window A/C unit, let alone a divorce lawyer.

Since we never combined income or any accounts (bank, bills, deeds, even cell phone plans) I’ve technically not paid anything towards the house, so I can see how a good lawyer he could afford would argue I don’t get any equity. The most I did was paint a couple of rooms, any my mom even bought the paint. I’ve refused to put any money into a house he won’t let me “own”.

@bcrich Oh, honey, everything is communal in a marriage including your labor. You can absolutely afford a lawyer, because you have home equity. You've got to ask around. If he doesn't give you enough leeway to speak to a lawyer, you can call your local YWCA and they'll give you advice. Don't you dare let that man fool you. If you want out, the door is wide. To be clear, I'm not telling you to leave, but I am telling you that you can. If you need help figuring out how to, absolutely call your local YWCA or other domestic shelter. The most common form of abuse is financial. 💯