PSA: New Scam these days. Starts with TRAI sms or a call from TRAI. Be Aware.

sammie2019

The modus operandi seems to be:

1. Initially a sms will arrive from TRAI stating that all your numbers will be blocked within 2 hours. So call on this number (usually a west UP number) to stop it.
  2. Alternatively, a call will come with automated voice recording that all your numbers will be disconnected within next 2 hours and if you want to have more information then press 9. If you do so, then someone real will come across the line.
  3. Now it may take different ways. But it would be a hodge-podge of Aadhaar number, ED, FEMA, Money Laundering, SEBI, RBI, Foreign Ministry, cancellation of visa/passport etc.
  4. The scam part is that they would want you to send all or 50-60% of your liquid money in accounts for VERIFICATION purpose and then supposedly would sent it back.
  5. There would be involvement of CBI, local police (local of UP, I have come across), ED, foreign ministry people.
  6. There may be voice calls or even whatsapp videocalls.

*But all of this is SCAM and BULLSHIT.
Don't fall for it. Apply brain.exe and try to connect the dots of why would TRAI, CBI, FEMA, ED would connect together to verify your liquid money earned by your hard work??

Be safe.

@sammie2019 I got this message last week. I called him immediately. He told that he is a senior manager from my bank. He told that my debit card is expiring and I need to provide details about it otherwise it can get into galat logs hand.

I shared him a 16 digit number. Then he asked for CVV expiry date. I shared some numbers again. He asked for OTP. I told some numbers. He said its not working. I asked to resend he said he did, I shared some more numbers. It didn't work.

I told it might have reached galat logs hand already. He started some abuses in Hindi and then cut the call.

@sammie2019 I got this today.

I played along and told him I sent the money. He got mad for 10 mins trying to figure it out and started talking to himself.

I was on a work call where I wasn't needed. Boredom. shrug