Finally on a health policy hunt (steps included). Shortlisted one, advice needed.

@sadie_the_cat66 If I'm not wrong, the max you can claim is for the cheapest level standard private room with AC that the hospital has.

You can opt for other lower priced rooms too, and they'll even give a couple of bucks in form of cashback too if you did (read this in Star's Family Floater Plan).

@highonluna Good to get a thread dedicated to Health Insurance, finally.

I have the following health insurance policies currently (both taken in 2020) -
  • Base family floater - Religare Care (5L)
  • Super top up family floater - Religare Enhance (20L w/ 5L deductible)
These are apart from our corporate policies. All personal details and PEDs etc have been disclosed to Insurer during proposal for both policies.

Am seeing a lot of bad reviews of Religare related to claims and cashless processing. In comparison, Star Health looks a lot better and this is making me rethink my decision to get a new policy from Star Health for my family.

Have done my fair share of R&Ds and Star Health seems to have really good customer feedback in most of the cases - both for cashless hospitalization and claim settlement. Read that their claim settlement was quite bad before but in the recent past they have stepped up their game. In comparison, the general consensus for Religare seems to be that they try to avoid cashless hospitalization as much as possible.

Restricting to these two for now. Have bad experience with HDFC Ergo for a family member.

Thought about porting but it depends on the company to allow portability. Not willing to waste time now and get into that soup later.

The reason for this post is I want to close this health insurance buying chapter, keep on paying premiums year on year and not worry about it for the future.

Need advise from experts in this sub.
  1. What are your experiences in cashless hospitalization and claim settlement for Star Health and Religare?
  2. Can I go ahead with Star Health for both base and super top up policies and ditch Religare from next year?

@prayertime1
  1. In my view, once you follow the procedures, there is not much difference between various providers on the ease of cashless and claim settlement.
  2. Theoretically it is possible to have base and top-up policies from different insurers and still go fully cashless. There are anecdotes for this. The hospital and TPA need to be aware and do this right. Of course it is helpful to have them from the same insurer.

@zashmaster Won't claim settlement track record and customer experience matter? I know people swearing by their experience of ease with Star. Not so much with Religare. Maybe the happy Religare customers don't use social media.