citizend

Hello guys,

Found out last week I’m gonna become a dad. I’m thrilled and super happy, but after a week of positivity, I need to take care of some things.

I’m 25 my wife to be is 24.

My take home is €2600 a month (this is base pay, I’m a Sales Manager, and I do get good commission, but some months can be without commission, so let’s just use that for calculation. Commission can grant me up to almost €4000). I work in Telecommunication industry.

My rent is €640 except when it’s a 5 week month, it’s €800.

-rent 640

-electricity 50-70 (winter)

-loan 100 (will be paid of in 2 months)

-humm 80 (will be paid off in 5 months)

-subscriptions 100

-broadband and phones 100 (will be switched to my employer and dropped to 50)

I need to spend around €1000 for a wedding (small wedding just couple of people).

I don’t think we’ll send a kid to creche as I personally don’t have a driving license, and closest creche now taking is 20km away, while she does have a driving license, I have no place to park a car, and car payment + Parking permit + insurance would add too much to our bills right now, and we live in a town center.

If my S/O decides to go back to work, my mother will visit to help with the child, and her aunt and cousins are in Ireland so they offered help also.

How much is:
food for the child
nappies
Other things I need to worry about?

I will get clothes from my brothers children and a stroller.

I am planning of availing free college courses on Springboard+ and eCollege, particulary Business courses so I can get a better paying job. I actually do have BA degree in Electrical engineering but I don’t want to work in that branch.

I have free healthcare through my work.

My S/O is currently working, she doesn’t pay any bills. I just want to use my income, we are saving her money.

P.S I can’t figure out if I get anything from the government so I’m only calculating with my income.

@citizend If you are both working, you'll need childcare - if not crèche, then childminder or paying families.
If you're near an Aldi or a Lidl, then they have baby/children stuff in the middle aisle about four times a year so you can get quite a few things there.

@singerum She did express desire that she wants to be stay at home mom until the baby grows up and starts going to preschool. I told her I would have to calculate if we can financially do that.
Biggest hurdle with childcare is local creches don’t have any vacancies. I don’t understand how people get their kids to school.
We are just lucky that even though we’re both from the same country in EU, my parents are willing to help out and my mother is willing to relocate.
I’m also counting her cousin and aunt which are also happy to help. So if she decides to work we are in the lucky few that have someone to help out.

I went to Aldi and saw diapers are cheaper,I don’t know about baby formula, I’m quite oblivious about that. Should I be fine with their baby equipment? I know it’s a stupid question, but I asked for advice and people have so many conflicting opinions it’s actually super confusing.

@citizend Could consider saving her entire wage and adjusting to living on your wage from now. Her wage can be used as a buffer if it’s needed for the years she wants to stay home

@westdong That’s what I was thinking. Putting at least €250 aside from her wage on the side is gonna gain us €8000 by the time child gets born. We can without any problem survive on one wage. We both know how to cook, we know how to shop frugally. And that leaves her with €100 from her wage to either save or buy herself something, shopping or whatever.
Like I said I’m not counting my commission which I’m getting paid regularly from April to December basically, but you never know how it goes in sales.

I like your advice I think we can do that. Even better if she decides to save her whole wage, that’s additional €1200 on top. I would also save up my commission and just put my budgeting down.

@citizend Congratulations by the way. It’s life’s most amazing thing to bring a child into the world!

You definitely have the right mindset that will be needed to make it work, being frugal, cooking at home etc. The pay off will be so worth it for your fiancé to say home with your child, the first five years are so important.

@westdong Thank you so much! We are so excited! Obviously we are also scared a bit, but the positivity outweighs the small fear.

Yeah we both grew up a bit poor in our home country so thankfully we brought the right values here with cooking and stuff like that.

That’s exactly what I was thinking, because she’ll be happier at home with the child. Seeing little one walking first time and saying first words and stuff like that are not to be missed (my dad always says he feels bad for missing out those things with me and my bro), but with 40 hour work week with me, and her off it’ll be so cool.

@citizend If you're married and she is stay at home parent, you get a smallish help tax wise as you can assign all the personal tax credits to you, and you can get the home carer tax credit also (total about 3,500 a year less tax to pay).
Most of the Aldi toys, high chair etc are fine, I wouldn't buy their car seats just because they're random brand and hard to get help with them later.

@singerum Oh that’s class, thanks for this, noted.

I was thinking of assigning her personal tax credits to me after we get married, due to possibility of her staying at home.

I think the stroller my brother has already has a car seat included too, so we’re safe, but mostly high chair and that stroller toy where they can walk around and stuff like that.

Thanks for the advice, Aldi route we go.

@citizend So baby will get €140 per month in child benefit.

Your fiancé should also be entitled to maternity leave (there are some requirements, but even if her work doesn't cover it if she's been working for the last year she should be covered for the government maternity cover). It's roughly €270 a week, for 26 weeks.

You can also both apply for parents leave. Which is 7 weeks each before baby is 2. Again it's roughly €270 a week, but you don't need to take all 7 weeks at once. There are plans for this to be increased to 9 weeks.

You can apply for paternity leave, 2 weeks standard (or more if your work allows).

Be sure to register baby, and apply for their pps number in a timely manner. Once you have their pps you can apply for the free gp visits.

I wouldn't bulk buy nappies. Sometimes different brands can fit baby differently, so it'd be annoying to have lots of a brand that doesn't work.

If your partner is thinking of breastfeeding this will save not only on formula, but also on bottles/steriliser etc (if they aren't pumping).

Check out your healthcare policy. Some of them cover extras you wouldn't expect (for instance with vhi you get some free meals after baby is here, and things like parenting classes/baby swim classes/maternity scan).