[NEW YORK] Some information about NYDOL and the Proof of Employment letters

jamaix

I know it is scary and confusing to get a letter that essentially threatens you about having to pay back a LOT of money. But don't freak out! For the large majority of people, this is easily handled without any issue.

Q. Why do I have to send this info?

A. It is a federal requirement enacted on December 27, 2020. The purpose is to quickly weed out fraudulent clams while making it easy for most people to comply. You have to send even if you sent when you filed your claim to confirm it is indeed you who is in control of this claim.

Q. What should I send?

A. In a nutshell, you need to prove you worked in your base period, which is the calendar your before you filed your claim. For most people, that is 2019, so I will address that first.

Best docs to send:
  • 2019 W-2
  • 2019 Schedule C or SE
  • 2019 1099-Misc (if it clearly shows that it is from self-employment and you can't send your Sched C)
If you don't have one of these then the next best:
  • 2020 W-2 and a paystub from before you filed your claim
  • 2020 Schedule C or SE and bank deposits or invoices showing income earned before they filed
  • 2020 1099-Misc (if it clearly shows that it is from self-employment and you can't send your Sched C) and bank deposits or invoices showing income earned before they filed
This covers about 95% of ALL PUA recipients. What if your claim was based on your planned commencement of employment or self-employment? You really should only send these if you DO NOT have anything from the above lists, even though your plan to commence is the reason you were eligible for your claim.

The best docs:
  • Employment - A letter or affidavit with a bona fide job offer that includes the name of the employer who issued the letter offering employment, the employer’s address and phone number, and the date of the letter offering employment. Then you need to give the reason you could not start (they rescinded the offer - include the proof where possible, the business closed, the industry was shutdown, schools closed and you had to stay home with kids, etc.).
  • Self-Employer - Some sort of proof of your plan to become self-employed needs at least one of following documents to substantiate pending self-employment: Business License, State or Federal Employer Identification Numbers, Written Business Plan(s) - The business plan(s) should include the name of your business and the date of the plan, Lease Agreements, Business Bank Account opening documents.
If the NYDOL upload forces you to choose your reason for applying and you have one of the above things, then send it WITH your W-2.

This covers another 3% or so of claims. Then there is a handful of others that fall into some other odd categories - Peace Corps volunteers, Doctors Without Borders, etc.

So, what if you don't have anything? First, why don't you? Be honest - did you actually qualify? Did you think you qualified but now know you didn't? Did you work but not properly file your taxes? Do you file a fraudulent claim?

If you legitimately believed you qualified but have not worked in years, then you are not eligible for the benefits, but you may be eligible for the waiver if you did not lie to get your claim.

If you worked, but did not properly file your 2019 taxes, then you need to fix that. File your 1040 with Sched C or file an amendment to what you already filed. When you have your 1040 filed, send it to the IRS and keep the tracking info for your records, then submit a true and accurate copy of your Schedule C or SE to NYDOL.

If you simply lied to get money, count on paying back at least anything received after December 27, 2020. You also should consult a criminal attorney.

So, why doesn't my list match exactly what is one the NYDOL website? Well, mostly it does, but there are simply some things that are nuanced to a degree that even over the past two years when I became a subject matter expert on Pandemic Unemployment, I did not fully get until I started adjudicating cases in a couple different states. I have seen the same types of things get flagged and disqualified over and over. What is often missed is that you are supposed to submit the BEST documentation, not just a random piece off the list.

Not all Proof of Employment is created equal. W-2s and Sched C / SE are basically the best item for most claims. Because anything else begs the question, why don't you have the most basic tax form?? What you must always remember is the list of documents was created in March 2020. At that point, people didn't always have tax forms, etc.

Items like a 2019 Job Offer letter can be sufficient, but really only if it is truly the best document to prove that you could not commence employment in 2020 because of the pandemic. In the LARGE majority of cases where a 2019 Job Offer Letter exists, it is not connected to not being able to work in March 2020. Are there some cases? Of course. But people need to understand that if they send in a job offer letter from Jan 2019 with a start date of July 2019 - that doesn't work. If they have a job offer letter from June 2019 with a start dated of June 2020 (like many law students might have) then THAT makes sense.

But with planned commencement cases, there is a reason they usually get denied and have to go to hearing, because they need someone like me LOL to ask the questions and get to the facts. It isn't always a clear cut case, unless it is a Job offer letter with a start date near the beginning of the pandemic with a subsequent rescission.

One last thing, some people will say to send more. It is best to send the BEST document and the most simple one(s). Remember, you are being asked to prove you worked in your base period, not reprove why you applied for PUA in the first place. Though I have heard that the upload link is asking for you to select the reason you applied and upload the best document. So, in cases of planned employment, it is likely prudent to send your offer letter, etc. AND you previous W-2.

Questions?

@jamaix I feel like I fell into the category of misunderstood.

Getting into the Census but having it postponed until further notice due to covid should fit the description of "planned commencement of employment but unable due to covid". Am I wrong?

Besides my 2019 W2 which I submitted; my only other honest proof is a generic email from the Census without any name/address/phone that would fit an "offer", and I sure as hell do not know who I would talk to for an affidavit. So I hope the W2 is enough, and that it would be the end of it, but I just can't help but feeling like an idiot criminal. Do I have to live with this anxiety for the next 3 months? More?

@livinnlovin You should not have an issue. If the email was all you had, I would be a little concerned but it is common knowledge that the Census work was delayed . And NYDOL is really not handling this properly. Your W-2 is sufficient according to the federal requirement and guidelines.

@livinnlovin hey man i also had to submit census proof, i call the verification of employment number for my state and had them write a letter for me that had all the info on it!! i suggest you do the same :) itll be more legit

@de2105 Hey I hope i caught you in time. I'm still trying to figure out who should i call; did you call the regular census number? verification number?? not sure how it relates to the census. Or is there an email?

Because what they technically want it someone to call and an address to state that we had pending employment at a certain date but the pandemic stopped it. Thanks in advance.

@livinnlovin hello i just PMd you with every step i took to get that letter, it will have all the necessary information dont worry. seems like the census bureau has already experienced similar requests and know how to get that information out to us

@jamaix So if you just send in one of the best tax forms from 2019 is their anyway they don’t accept it? For someone like me with anxiety, I hate how it’s just “we’ll contact you if we need” and there’s no way to know if they accepted it or not.

@aztral If you send the correct 2019 tax form, then you will be fine. If it is accidentally rejected, they you should be able to fix with a phone call. I happens very occasionally but mistakes happen. If you have a simple situation, then you should not worry at all.

@jamaix Thanks for the details. I asked this question previously but for those who share a similar situation like me: what happens if you worked in NJ (or outside NY) during 2019? I quit my NJ job in Jan. 2020 due to getting a better paying full time job in NY but then shortly got laid off in March 2020. Others have said to me that as long as I worked in 2019 regardless of state I should be ok, but what do you think?

@dk7 That is correct - does not matter where you worked if you have a W-2. The only reason your location ever matters is that you were supposed to file for PUA in the state your worked in when you were affected and sounds like you are good.

@jamaix Some people didn't work in their base period. My girlfriend moved from TX to NY in 2019 and did not work through all over 2019. She started in late january at a new job and got about 10 paychecks in and then got furloughed for 2 months and returned to heavily reduced hours (30 reduced to 10-14). Took her months to fight for unemployment

She sent 10 paycheck stubs, 2020 W-2, furlough letter, and all the communication she had with NYSDOL via the account messaging. We also talked to a lawyer who has done unemployment cases and he believes she is perfectly fine.

She was given the exact minimum base period because of her circumstance however