[New York] PUA Documentation Troubleshooter

@larthejust Hi,

In the interest of being a good moderator and human I am going back over replies related to the Pua documentation request from New York, humbly asking you to participate in a poll to generate aggregated user experience data that can be analyzed to help understand and even make predictions:

(I am hosting this on r/UnemploymentNY because the regular unemployment sub does not allow polls but this information will still be shared openly.)

@juan9080 One note - I have never seen an affidavit for self-employment not cause a bunch of issues. I have seen it cause a retroactive disqualification, fraud investigations, etc.

The reason, I believe, it is still included is because it was on the original list to prove eligibility back in March 2020 in the CARES Act. Why? Because at that point, most people had not filed their 2019 taxes and did not have a Sched C. Also, the people who had commenced self-employment in early 2020 had very little documentation. At that point, an affidavit may have been the only thing some people could get. NOW, there is no excuse for someone not having a 2019 1040 with Sched C. No excuse, so sending anything less that 2019 tax forms if you based your claim on self-employment from Jan 2019 to March 2020 will open people up to some very very bad consequences in most situations.

@jamaix Hey, I was let go from my job in December 2019. I was supposed to start a job doing maintenance work but couldn't because of the pandemic. I already have a letter from them explaining the job offer. I have already submitted the W2 to nys dol. But I haven't submitted the affidavit yet, Do you think I should submit the affidavit as well?

@resjudicata NO. You gave the info they require. If you send the affidavit and they find it lacking in any way, they could reopen your file and find you ineligible for the entire claim.

@resjudicata Hi,

In the interest of being a good moderator and human I am going back over replies related to the Pua documentation request from New York, humbly asking you to participate in a poll to generate aggregated user experience data that can be analyzed to help understand and even make predictions:

(I am hosting this on r/UnemploymentNY because the regular unemployment sub does not allow polls but this information will still be shared openly.)

@juan9080 I submitted my schedule C and SE from 2019, I was starting to (finally) be able to freelance in late 2019/early 2020 before business dried up (and some of my clients saying they couldn't afford to commission me for obvious reasons). I didn't make much on the schedule C and SE, but definitely a decent amount over the minimum before self employment tax kicks in.

Do you think the amount matters? Business came back mid 2021 so everything is fine now, but I'm a bit worried that I made "too little" at that time off self employment.

@lin1966
This entire situation has made my anxiety skyrocket and I tend to overthink things when that happens.

Yes, me too, and because I am a serial googler I actually went and found the actual psychological term for what this is, I highly recommend that you read this, it's very brief, it will make you laugh and cry or both, but it will certainly help you understand how you're feeling

@mary0608196 Hi,

@mary0608196 Sorry for the delay, travelling.

First, a back-up plan is that they can order their W-2 from the social security administration for $90

Second, the vast majority of w-2s are provided electronically as well as mailed. If they cannot find their mailed copy they may be able to retrieve their electronic copy in the following ways:
  • Searching their email account for the keyword "W2"
  • Searching their email account for any onboarding information related to tax withholding. The vast majority of companies of all sizes and in all states use a third party payroll processing company like ADP or Honeywell, There is almost always some company specific login, and then the tax information can be retrieved from the third party website.
  • It is my understanding that HR/ registered agent of a company/ proprietor cannot lawfully decline a request for an ordinary tax document. Most companies -regardless of if they use third-party payroll processing or not- have a general HR email address where tax document questions can be sent, and either the document will be provided or the login and name of the third party payroll processing company.
Third, if they filed taxes for 2019, and they are looking for their W-2 from 2019, the entity which filed their taxes, TurboTax or h&r block, they may have an electronic copy of the W-2 that was submitted at that time.

Lastly, they can similarly submit any other acceptable documents such as pay stubs from that time / that company.

Ultimately, whichever they choose, it is highly recommended to take those actions now so that they do not run out of time and fail to provide documents by the deadline.

@lin1966 Hi,

@juan9080 My wife didn't work in 2019 but did apply for a job and get accepted in Dec 2019 with a start date of Jan 6th 2020. She worked there until they closed her office and laid her off in April 2020 due to the pandemic and I believe she even has an email explaining this as the reason. She applied for pua when they announced they were waiving the work history requirements that stopped her from qualifying for UI.

She now has the same email as everyone else requiring her to prove attachment to the work force in 2019. She didn't earn even $1 in 2019 so no W2 or pay checks but she did in 2020. Is the 2020 documentation good enough? will they accept emails from 2019 showing her accepted for a job and negotiating the Jan start date?

@rarapvpi As you can see, the way that the guidelines are set up both federally and at the New York state level do a poor job of encompassing every scenario, and this is a very good example of it. I feel like we can both agree that it is ridiculous that the best method for you guys would be to probably submit everything applicable, the original offer letter and affidavit and the W-2 from 2020, simply because of how the New York guidelines state that the documentation must be from the calendar year prior to the year in which the claim was generated, although there is a notable discrepancy