My Investment Checklist - Version 0

runkajj

All great investors say that you have to have an investment checklist. I'm not a very experienced investor, but through all of this volatility, I thought it would be important for me to formalize what I actually do before I buy a company.

I put together this doc and figured I'd share it here in case someone else is interested in comparing their approach to investing. Comments are welcome!

@endurestress Just an addition to this - if the company is outside USA, it's pretty normal to have a dividend yield higher than 5%, because buybacks are a way less common method of returning profits to shareholders outside USA. It's important to look at the dividend payout ratio (plus buybacks if applicable). If it's high, for example 80-90%, then there is little room for growth in the company, and the risk for shrinking dividends is higher.

@tashadee Might have something to do with taxes. In the US you aren't taxed until you sell. Dividends are basically taxable income instead of an appreciating asset that you may not have to pay taxes on for decades.

@loveofourlord Yeah. To the shareholder, a buyback is the effective equivalent of issuing a dividend, but all shareholders reinvesting the dividend in shares by default.

The problem I have with buybacks as a shareholder is there generally isn't enough transparency around buybacks - companies will issue a general statement around buyback plans, but not exact details on when they're executed, so it's very hard to maintain the exact same level of ownership of a company when they do buybacks.

I like dividends because I can use them to easily diversify without the need for manual trades. For example, company issues dividend quarterly, I use dividend to invest directly in total market mutual fund; therefore, the company I own shares in builds me broad wealth. That way, if the company had a 7% dividend yield when I bought it, and the company suspends the dividend 20 years in and goes under 25 years later, I still profited in the end.

The problem I have with buybacks is a company can do a great job buying back for 50 years, only to go bankrupt when they fail to adapt to changing market conditions, wiping out 50 years of gains. In addition, much of the gains in the market come from new companies that disrupt the market(ie Amazon, Facebook, TSLA, etc). So diversification is important.

@tashadee As a non American, I'm wondering, what happens when you're an investor and there's a buy back? Do you get a letter in the mail and it asks you if you want to participate? Or is it forced? Do they just so okay the following parcels of shares we are buying back. Market rate is $10 and we will give you $11 per share, expect the money in your account in maybe a month or so and a certificate showing the transaction? I really can't imagine this in the practice every day sense ...