The Ultimate Investing Checklist

@irondad92 Aaaaand that's why I started putting new brokerage money into fidelity zero fee index funds unless I see some of my existing stocks or those in my watchlist tank like crazy during a broad market sell off or due to short term noise.

@irondad92 I read this whole checklist. Then I cross referenced against every stock in the S&P and the RUT, as well as emerging markets. Didn't find diddly. I'll go buy some SPY please and thank you.

@bennybrain Trying to find a stock that does all of this is like trying to find a 7’ 300 lb point guard who shoots threes better than Steph curry and no one knows about. Not gonna happen. That’s not the point of this list, the point is to provide some metrics to evaluate and categorize your portfolio so you know what you’re getting in to. People around here often ask questions like, “why does AT&T have a 6% yield? seems too good to be true!” Or “how can MU possibly be overvalued with such a low p/e?”

Cross reference with these rules of thumb and you will find out why.

@irondad92 I really like your qualitative checklist. I think it will ultimately be more helpful than the quantitative stuff because it looks at great companies in context — their own, their industry’s, and your portfolio’s — rather than using numerical cutoffs that might give you false positives or false negatives for an entire sector.