A comprehensive guide to the best no-annual fee, no-minimum spend credit cards

itismesandy

Often, there are posts asking about the best no-fee credit cards, so I've compiled this list. These cards are listed in alphabetical order.

ETA: Some of these cards may also come with sign-up bonuses from third party sites like Credit Card Genius, Great Canadian Rebates, Frugal Flyer, or Rates.ca. They may also have referral bonuses. Please do not solicit referrals in this thread as it goes against subreddit rules.

American Express Simply Cash

* 2% gas and groceries (not accepted at Loblaw brand grocers)

* 1.25% everything else

* Amex offers — offers may be targeted to certain users/cards

* Cash back issued on September statement

BMO CashBack Mastercard

* 3% groceries (up to $500 spend/mo.)

* 1% recurring bills (up to $500 spend/mo.)

* 0.5% everything else

* Cash back redeemed manually; $1 minimum

CIBC Costco Mastercard

* 3% restaurants and Costco Gas

* 2% Costco.ca and other gas stations

* 1% everything else

* Cash back issued as a Costco gift certificate every January

CTFS Cash Advantage Mastercard

* X% everything:

* $0-$1500 annual spend = 0.25%

* $1500-$3000 = 0.5%

* $3000-$24000 = 1%

* $24000+ = 1.5%

* CTFS bill payment system — pay your bills (e.g., property tax, Enbridge, Hydro, NSLSC, etc.) and earn cash back without incurring any fees associated with CC payments

* Cash back issued on January statement

CTFS Triangle World Elite Mastercard (minimum $80k annual income)

* 4% (Triangle Reward Points) Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Mark's, Pro Hockey Life, Party City

* 3% (Triangle Reward Points) groceries

* 1% (Triangle Reward Points) everything else

* 5c/L at Gas+ stations
* CTFS bill payment system — pay your bills (e.g., property tax, Enbridge, Hydro, NSLSC, etc.) and earn Triangle Reward Points without incurring any fees associated with CC payments

* Canadian Tire Gold Roadside Assistance

* 31-day rental car collision/loss damage insurance

* Personal Concierge service

Rogers Mastercard

* X% everything:

* 1%

* 2% with a linked Rogers, Fido, or Shaw service (can be authorized user on account)

* +50% value (= 3%) when redeeming cash back towards your Rogers, Fido, or Shaw service

* 5 Roam Like Home days for your linked Rogers mobile service

* Cash back redeemed manually; $10 minimum

Simplii Financial Cash Back Visa

* 4% restaurants, bars, cafes, food delivery apps

* 1.5% gas, groceries, pharmacies, and recurring bills

* 0.5% everything else

* Cash back issued on December statement

Tangerine Mastercard

* 2% any two categories of your choice (three categories with a Tangerine savings account)

* 0.5% everything else

* Benefits exclusive to Tangerine World Mastercard (minimum $60k annual income):

* $1000 mobile device insurance

* 31-day rental car collision/loss damage insurance

* Boingo Wi-Fi for Mastercard

* Cash back issued monthly (against statement balance or into Tangerine savings account, if one exists)

@distressedson I just found out about the CTFS bill payments through the card!

(For anyone with the card who is wondering - it's under "Payments" at the top on the CTFS site, then on the left side "Pay Bills" you can search for payees and set things up)

And yes, the roadside assistance program on the Triangle WE is a nice perk (you have to go to a website to register and activate it btw...).

@godisrael The big one for me is property tax. It's ~$4.5K so I get $45 in points back for that, then I can also pay my water/garbage bill with the card too. Altogether $60/year in points that I couldn't get with any normal credit card.

@havefaith1130 Also wondering about that. Do you have to set it up through the CTFS site, or does it still work if I've just set up auto-billing to that credit card through, for example, my Enbridge account?

@itismesandy You're forgetting a few things with CTFS World Elite. Comes with a concierge service and special invites and passes. Also grants access to 1300+ airport lounges through DragonPass. Also covers car rental insurance if entire bill paid on card. Lastly all ctfs cards can be paid via cash or debit in store and it instantly credits to your account.