Selecting a bank account and advantages /disadvantages of the same

cn17

Selecting a Bank account depends on individual preferences. Most of the individuals would have a bank account/ salaried account. A lot of individuals would have different bank accounts which cater to different purposes - For Example - Emergency Funds Account / Separate Account for a large expenses - Travel/ Marriage etc.

I break down Bank Accounts into general preferences and will note down which options would suit a particular Individual.

Safety of Money - Safety of money is the primary reason of putting money in bank. If a bank is mismanaged, it can lead to a person’s life savings getting eroded.

Under the deposit insurance and credit guarantee corporation (DICGC) RBI has insured up to a maximum of Rs. 5 lakhs (principal + interest) if the bank’s license is cancelled or the bank is liquidated. If there is a joint account, each account will also be insured at Rs. 5 lakhs. All commercial and co-operative banks are included in the insurance policy.

If the amount exceeds 5 lakhs in an account, the hierarchy of safety of Bank Accounts should be

a) Systematically Important banks - Systematically important banks or banks that are too big to fail are amongst tZhe safest banks to invest because of their sheer size means that a failure of the banks would be catastrophic for the Indian economy. They are thus regulated to higher regulatory measures including additional common equity requirement.

Currently there are 3 banks in the Systematically Important banks - SBI, HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank.

b) Public Sector Banks- Public Sector Banks are amongst the safest banks as they are backed by the government. No government can afford to let a public sector bank fail as it may lead to economic chaos and political instability.

Public Sector Banks - Bank of Baroda, Punjab National Bank, Canara Bank, Indian Bank, Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank, Central Bank of India, Punjab and Sind Bank, Bank of Maharashtra.

Note : Some of the banks are in discussions of getting privatized and may not be in the safest category.

c) Large Private Sector Banks - Private Sector Banks with a good track record of corporate governance provide a good margin of safety.

Large Private Sector Banks - Axis Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank.

d) Other Private Sector Banks & Foreign Banks - Next in line would be other private sector banks which are small to medium sized banks.

Other Private Sector Banks - IndusInd Bank, Bandhan Bank, IDBI Bank, IDFC First Bank, Federal Bank, RBL Bank, City Union Bank, CSB, DCB, Karur Vysya, Karnataka Bank, J&K Bank, DBS and other banks.

e) Small Finance Banks - Small Finance Banks have a shorter operating history than other banks and are thus below private sector banks.

Small Finance Banks - AU Small Finance Bank, Ujjivan SFB, Equitas SFB and others.

f) Co-operative Banks - Most Bank failures fail are in co-operative Banks. 1551 urban co-operative Banks failed in 2018.

PMC Bank was amongst the top 5 urban co-operative banks in India before its failure which shows the systematic risk in co-operative banks.

Larger Co-operative Banks - SVC Bank, Saraswat Bank, Cosmos Bank and Bharat Bank.

Note : No depositor money has been lost even incase of larger bank failures such as Yes Bank, PMC Bank, Lakshmi Vilas Bank though there has been moratorium and other restrictions for different banks for different periods.

After going through the above list, I have select 10 banks across different types for running past them the test

SBI , HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank - Too Big to fail Banks

Kotak and Axis Bank - Large Private Sector Banks

IDFC First and RBL Bank - Smaller private sector Banks

AU SFB and Equitas SFB - Small Finance Banks

DBS - Digital Foreign Bank

Minimum Account Balance - Maintaining a minimum account balance is difficult for individuals and a lot of individuals would prefer lower minimum account balance as the penalties may erode your bank account balance Below are the banks with their Minimum Account Balance requirements (not including Basic Savings Bank Deposit Accounts as its has a maximum account balance of Rs. 50000 and other restrictions).

Kotak 811 - Digital onboarding - MAB - Nil

SBI Savings Bank Account / SBI Basic Savings Account - Nil.

RBL Bank - Digital Onboarding - Prime Digital Savings Account - Rs. 5000. No MAB if RD/ SIP of 2000 is taken.

Digi bank by DBS - Digital Onboarding - MAB - Rs. 5000

Niyo X Equitas Digital Savings Account - Digital Onboarding - MAB - 10000. However, there are no charges on non-maintenance of MAB as on date.

IDFC Vishesh Savings Account - MAB - 5000.

AU Savings Account - MAB - 5000

HDFC Bank - Regular Savings Account - MAB Rs. 10000 - Urban / Metro (There are other accounts which have more benefits and MAB for the same are Rs. 25000)

ICICI Bank - Regular Savings Account - MAB - Rs. 10000 - Urban / Metro (There are other accounts which have more benefits and MAB for the same are Rs. 25000)

Axis Bank Easy Access Savings Account - MAB - 10000 - Urban / Metro (There are other accounts which have more benefits and MAB for the same are Rs. 25000)

The benefit of digital account is the ease of opening and operating an account and how efficient it is and it saves the hassle of going to a branch and stuff. I personally use Kotak 811 which is a zero balance account and has no charges for online bank transfers and works perfectly for an emergency / second account or for a pure digital account. Mobile banking works well and the on-boarding procedure was seamless.

If there are other decent zero balance accounts / digital banks, comment below.

Interest Rates -

Savings Account - When starting out every penny counts, Attaching the Savings account interest rates for the selected banks.

RBL Bank - 4.25% upto 1 lakh, 5.75 % from 1-10 lakhs

IDFC First Bank - 4 % upto 1 lakh, 4.5 % from 1- 10 lakhs

Equitas (Niyo X) - 3.5 % upto 1 lakh, 7 % from 1-10 lakhs.

AU Small Finance Banks - 3.5 % upto 1 lakhs, 5% from 1-10 lakhs.

Kotak Mahindra Bank - 3.5% upto 1 lakh, 4% from 1 to 50 lakhs.

DBS - 3.25 % upto 1 lakh, 3.5 % from 1-2 lakh and 4 % from 2-5 lakhs.

HDFC Bank - 3.50 % upto 50 lakhs

ICICI Bank - 3% upto 50 lakhs

Axis Bank - 3% upto 50 lakhs

SBI - 2.70 %

Fixed Deposits for the Banks - Fixed deposits are the most preferred security investment for Indians. Below are the banks with their interest rates for FD as on date . The rates are for 1 year (+1 day for general citizens )

RBL Bank - 6.50%

Equitas - 6.35 %

AU Small Finance Bank - 6.10 %

IDFC First Bank - 5.50%

Axis Bank - 5.1%

SBI - 5%

ICICI Bank - 4.90%

HDFC Bank - 4.90%

Kotak - 4.5%

DBS - 4.25 %

Other facilities -

Public Provident Fund - Public provident Fund is a decent investment which provides a solid interest rate is tax exempt. Of the selected Banks only a few banks provide Public provident fund facility.

SBI

HDFC Bank

ICICI Bank

Kotak Bank

Axis Bank

ASBA - ASBA Facility is the most reliable way for applying for a IPO and for some individuals having an ASBA account is very important. All selected banks except Equitas SFB provide ASBA Facility.

HDFC Bank

ICICI Bank

Kotak Bank

Axis Bank

SBI Bank

RBL Bank

IDFC First Bank

DBS

AU Small Finance Bank
g and Customer Care - The opinions would be relating to my personal experience and can differ from person to person.

SBI has a bad rep for having bad customer care and I would partly agree to it, if you have some issues, it may take a longer time to resolve. However amongst the larger banks, the digital infrastructure of SBI is very robust and amongst the best I have used.

HDFC Bank has the worst internet banking system spewed with a 1000 ads and promotions and is very unreliable, also I have had bad experiences even relating to customer care by the Bank.

ICICI Bank due to their size also has frequent downtime issues however it is slightly better than HDFC Bank.

I have personal accounts with Kotak 811 and RBL Bank and can personally vouch their digital and mobile banking infrastructure is very good. I have had no complaints from that end.

Digi Bank and Niyo X also have solid internet infrastructure and have had solid reviews at least from people who I know.

IDFC First Bank earlier had a very liberal savings account interest rate but that is not the case now. There were some issues with ASBA account in which not all IPO’s were available, I am not sure if that has been resolved. - Example - Brookfield REIT was not listed.

I have not used AU SFB and Axis Bank accounts so don’t really have an opinion, but online reviews for both are fairly positive.

Conclusion - I have tried to put a basic set of list to enable individuals making a more informed decision about opening a bank account. Let me know if you use any bank accounts which are very efficient and if you have a positive opinion on the same.

@cn17 Every time I read the term TBTF I think about Lehmann Brothers.

As for the post, I think one account in a private concern like HDFC or Axis and one PSU are enough for an average Indian.

I use SBI because ASBA and overall money transfer systems are good there. I use HDFC for my spendings and its internet banking - despite the ridiculous downtimes - are fairly good.

Bank of Baroda, Corporation Bank, ICICI Bank are the ones I will stay away forever due to personal bad experiences.

@rezene Two bank accounts at the minimum and a demat account are the way to go for salaried Indians. I have noticed many keep one account only and struggle to save much. My SBI is a deposit and forget account while I keep just a few thousands in ICICI account. Keeps my itch to spend under control.

While demat may not be necessary, I feel keeping one has been helpful.

@cdw I have a sbi account do I need a separate demat account to to invest in sbi index funds/stocks? I've been hearing this term "demat account" is it different from normal sbi account?

@sheeba You will need a separate demat account unless SBI offers a way to invest in mutual funds from the online portal or YONO. For stocks, you will need a demat account as that's where your stocks are held digitally.

@rezene Yes. I also believe 2/3 accounts are sufficient. I usually keep accounts for different purposes. Salary + Investment account is 1 account, Emergency saving account is 2nd account and 3rd would be a general big purchase spend account.

@cn17 I personally try to keep my salary account as a disposable one, with no dependency on it. In an event where I need to change my job, the next company might have tie-ups with different banks for salary account.

@premier3092 I have a sbi account do I need a separate demat account to to invest in sbi index funds/stocks? I've been hearing this term "demat account" is it different from normal sbi saving account?

@cn17
Salary + Investment account is 1 account

I agree with @premier3092, you shouldn't mix salary + Investment account. Unlike your personal savings account, a salary account is not meant to be with you forever. You may change jobs and newer company may have tie up with some other bank. In that case, you would either have to close previous company's salary account or maintain the MAB to use it like a normal savings account.

Also OP, for HDFC bank it 3% interest, not 3.5%.

@rezene HDFC bank has problems but it's so exaggerated. The only time I had issue was about 1-2 years ago when their net banking was having major issues. Rest of stuff like card, atm everything was working fine. Their apps and UI is still a decade old but after RBI things have improved a bit, no more downtime error.

In PSU Canara Bank and SBI has good online service and are very stable safe.

@1008 HDFC NetBanking is straight out of 1990s internet when web was some geeky gizmo and people accessed it using Netscape navigator.

This goes on to show how much focus hdfc puts on it's customers user experience, they put most of their efforts on cross selling shitty insurance ULIPs and loans to naive customers.

Their outdated UI could've been excused if it worked but that shit is broken beyond repair.

They have improved their mobile application but it still nowhere near SBI YONO, ICICI iMobile or Kotak 811.

@cn17 Contrary to your experience, ICICI bank has better mobile and NetBanking than Kotak. I have a Kotak 811 account and I've seen it down several times. In fact, Kotak app is down as I write this.

IDFC, too, has a very good online banking experience.

@minabell I would have given thumbs up to ICICI but I am sick and tired of their spammy calls. They keep monitoring my account and whenever I make a large deposit, they call me up to question where the money came from, what is the nature of my business and how they can help me earn more from my money by investing the money in some shitty ULIP or insurance products. They also keep pestering me to keep all my money in the savings account and not move it elsewhere for the sake of meeting their targets. Infact they want to personally meet me and give me investment advice. If I refuse, then another person calls and repeats the same shit.

I am a private person and don't appreciate such calls from bankers. What I do with my money is my business. I am a fairly saavy investor and don't need their unsolicited advice. This is why I hate bankers with a passion. Now I don't keep a single paisa in ICICI account anymore. I am now using SBI and IDFC exclusively. IDFC is a really good bank if you ask me. I have never received any spam calls from them despite maintaining huge balance with them. SBI being a PSU couldn't care less whether I keep money or not and I like it that way.

@heliumskylark ICICI is quite crap in this aspect. The RMs keep trying to scam you by mis-selling ULIPs and shitty endowment plans. I've seen many known people getting mis-sold crap policies, thankfully I got them cancelled within the freelook period.

@heliumskylark For me the spam calls started after I looked at credit cards on the website. I talked to the person at my local branch who called me ( people from all over India, including her, were calling), and she told me how to register in ICICI DNR so that I don't get spammed. It seems to have worked so far.