No State Income Tax

@emanxl To be clear, if I change my state of residency to the state I’m currently stationed in (and will be for the next two years) and that state happens to not collect state income tax, is this fraud?

I was planning on keeping my home state license, license plates, and voting registration just to not have to deal with the headache of changing them

@resjudicata The formula for changing your State of legal residence/domicile is simply stated as follows: physical presence in the new State with the simultaneous intent of making it your permanent home and abandonment of the old State of legal residence/domicile. In most cases, you must actually reside in the new State at the time you form the intent to make it your permanent home. Such intent must be clearly indicated. Your intent to make the new State your permanent home may be indicated by certain actions such as: (1) registering to vote; (2) purchasing residential property or an unimproved residential lot; (3) titling and registering your automobile(s); (4) notifying the State of your previous legal residence/domicile of the change in your State of legal residence/domicile; and (5) preparing a new last will and testament which indicates your new State of legal residence/domicile. Finally, you must comply with the applicable tax laws of the State which is your new legal residence/domicile.

@emanxl Legally, you can change your Home of Record state of residency to any state you get stationed in. The method you proposed would be considered tax evasion, although it’s fairly unlikely you’d get caught.

ETA to correct the term