Alaska Finance won’t answer to verify

@kitty346 The last comment I will say is his orders do say accompanied in item 10.

They amended item 11 & item 22 to state from 36 months to 24 months and a line item on item 22

MEMBER IS GOING UNACCOMPANIED BUT THE DEPENDENTS WILL BE STAYING IN PLACE

I think they should amend it again stating item 10 to state unaccompanied.

@4thwatch With that note, BAH would be for the dependents current location with no move to a designated location authorized. It wouldn’t change getting BAH for dependents plus housing for the servicemember.

@4thwatch I was married in the lower 48 and went voluntarily unaccompanied to Fairbanks. If I remember correctly, I was entitled to and received with dependent BAH for my spouse. Once I arrived, the local housing office issued a certificate of non-avail (CNA) which I then submitted to finance to begin FSH-B. The relevant part of the JTR states, "FSH-B is payable for an assignment at a PDS in Alaska or Hawaii or to a PDS in the CONUS to which concurrent travel has been denied". The "or" is only applicable to CONUS assignments, a lot of people misinterpret this.

You'll need to call the housing office to determine if he'd be eligible for a CNA - experiences vary based on branch and duty station. One important part of his orders is that it lists YOUR location in the states so you get BAH at that zip. FYSA, don't claim San Fran, saw two court martials for that. They'll have to provide evidence of a lease or mortgage.

@dravenwalker My husband got both and is staying in unaccompanied housing on base. They have unaccompanied houses for E-6. They are taking the FSH-B and the BAH is for our location.

@4thwatch Thank you so much for your post! I have been pouring over the regs, and finance in Korea did not make sense to me either. I kept seeing how things might be interpreted in a way that could be negatively affect my family's financial well-being. Did your spouse have the option to live off post and choose unaccompanied housing, or did the housing office assign whatvwas available?

@biblejourney My husband was able to get a 2 bedroom unaccompanied house in Alaska. We just got back from visiting him and it’s pretty decent! And yes, we stayed behind. Initially there was pushback from finance but a higher up agreed with my husband and said yes he qualified for unaccompanied bah AK and accompanied BAH where his family is located.

Too many argued with me calling me stupid and every spouse would leave Alaska if that was the case but I’m like, the military never moved us to Alaska (on their dime, why would they let spouses move back home and pay bah when they already paid the spouses stuff to move) it would make sense that they pay FSH-B and BAH. And finance in Alaska agreed.

@4thwatch Yeah, that makes sense. I think many people might only be looking at the financial aspect of it (Why would the Army pay for two home locations). Realistically, even if it were an option, most would still choose to be together as a family, if possible. There were a lot of ignorant and ill-informed opinions on your post, but I am glad that you all found the answers you needed and that Finance in Alaska was able to get everything set up the right way. I appreciate the reply and hope y'all have a great day!

@4thwatch If you are in the continental US and he is in AK only he will get BAH.

The only way a non active duty spouse can get BAH while the active member is in AK is if the non active member is in another OCONUS area. (Hi, Guam, etc.) if the non military spouse lives in any of the continental 48 states they will not receive housing.