What to do with $125K right now?

@winnette To this point, I've stayed away from crypto. I still think about it, but I don't know that'd I personally throw more than $10K into crypto. Part of me says, just do it. The other part of me can't stand the volatility.

@nick220 I think that at this point it has proven itself to be an investment worth having a small place in a portfolio. Id say no more than 2-3% if youre a risk taker/confident in crypto and probably around .5-1% for an average investor. In your situation I would honestly just put 7k on BTC and 3k on ETH and sit on it.

@nick220 I've put $100k in Bitcoin specially over the course of 4 years since 2017. It sure was a gamble back then but not anymore. My Bitcoin portfolio has gained 250% since. Bitcoin won't go away any time soon with prediction of hitting $100k price point within 3 years. If I were you, I'd put $100k in Bitcoin now & use $25k for vacation. Fly first/business classes around the world, stay in Hyatt/Hitlon hotels using my 100+ days leave saved up.

You could also invest in Fundrise.com. It's a crowd-fund property investment deal with less headache compared to traditional rental investment.

@favord I'm glad Bitcoin worked out for you, that's great. I've gone back and forth so many times on just throwing something into crypto, but have not yet to this point. I've wondered about Fundrise and other eREITs like that. Have you used Fundrise personally? If so, how has the experience been? And you're right about the 100 days of leave, I'm sitting at 99 days right now and roughly $10K in airfare credits, hotel points, etc. Can't wait to take a vacation!

@nick220 I’m still pretty young (20), so my experience may not work for you, but I worked with a financial advisor to put some inheritance money a year or so ago into a mutual fund. So far, it’s done quite well for me. My dad (50-something) did the same, and it sounds like it’s done quite well for him, too.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes for you!

@nick220 Personally I would get into crypto if I were you. I understand it’s not a popular answer but it’s basically enabled me to upgrade my lifestyle and hit my goals.

@chole I've been reading more and more into it, but I don't know that I'm ready to pull the trigger yet. Any good resources I should look into?

@nick220 Have you considered another investment property? It seems like the rental property you had did well, at least when you sold it. It would be a good way to add a passive income stream before you retire, whether you go the short term rental (Airbnb, VRBO) or more long-term route with. In the right area, investment property is pretty much always a safe bet.

If not, index funds are always a great place to park some money so they aren't just sitting there earning no interest.

@blizzardwild I might get back into rental properties once we settle down back home in roughly 6 years. Trying to work with PMs from out-of-state and not having eyes on the property can be hard at times. Real estate where I'm at now won't cash flow as rentals unless you find distressed properties, although the appreciation is good. If/when the military moves us, we may keep our primary as a rental, but we'll see what the market looks like when that time comes.